Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Another silly name? JABEZ? Sorry should have asked

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 2 Apr 2007 16:29

Plz see below....

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 2 Apr 2007 16:29

Jabez Reece found on 1891 census age 24 as a grandson b1867. I have his parents but was wondering if Jabez could be a nickname? as i cant find him on the 1901 or anywhere else. Parents... Joseph and Zillah Reece nee Poole. Willenhall Staffs. What do you think? Gerri.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Apr 2007 16:32

Jabez is a far from unusual name..........several thousand on each census on Ancestry Reg

Heather

Heather Report 2 Apr 2007 16:32

Jabez is a biblical name. Heather

Yummy-Mummy

Yummy-Mummy Report 2 Apr 2007 16:33

seems that they liked unusual names. here is the meaning of it: JABEZ Gender: Masculine Usage: Biblical Other Scripts: יַעְבֵץ (Hebrew) Pronounced: JAY-bez [key] Means 'sorrow' in Hebrew. This is the name of a character in the Old Testament who was blessed by God.

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 2 Apr 2007 16:34

So Jabez it is then!...thanks everyone Gerri x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Apr 2007 16:39

1871....... Name: Joseph Reece Age: 30 Estimated birth year: abt 1841 Relation: Head Spouse's name: Lillah Gender: Male Where born: Short Heath, Staffordshire, England Civil parish: Willenhall Ecclesiastical parish: Holy Trinity County/Island: Staffordshire Country: England Registration district: Wolverhampton Sub-registration district: Willenhall ED, institution, or vessel: 22 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 70 Household Members: Name Age Amather Reece 2 ??? Arthur Ether Reece 7 George Reece 9 Joseph Reece 30 Lillah Reece 32 Zillah Tabar Reece 5 ??? Jabez Reg

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 2 Apr 2007 16:42

Reg!!!! I dont know how you do that!!! but your my hero lol Many many thanks yet again Gerri x ...and they live next door to a Family named 'Poole'

Pandora

Pandora Report 2 Apr 2007 17:21

I know someone called Jabez. I can't see how it is any more strange than Joshua or Zachary or even Rachel or Rebecca for that matter. Good biblical names all of them.

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Apr 2007 18:16

So is Jabez Jewish? My Grandmother always said she was not jewish, but her Aunts and Uncles had names like Jabez, Septimus, Ruth, Sarah, Rubimiah, and Benjamin along with Fred, George and Agnes. They were all born mid 1800.s in London and their surname was Jacob. Strange name is their Grandfather Payne Jacob. Fran

Yummy-Mummy

Yummy-Mummy Report 2 Apr 2007 18:25

no it's hebrew, i posted the meaning near the top.

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Apr 2007 18:26

Sorry Yummy I'll have a read. Fran

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Apr 2007 18:29

Whats the difference between Hebrew and Jewish Fran

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Apr 2007 19:19

Hebrew is a language and yes it is the official language of Israel .

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Apr 2007 19:29

Hebrew language Hebrew: 'ivrit Arabic: cibriyya Semitic language used in Israel, principally by Jews. Hebrew is categorized as a part of the Canaanite group of the Semitic languages, to which also the ancient languages, Phoenician and Moabite, belonged.

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 2 Apr 2007 23:44

Lesley You can go to the top of the class with our Reggie lol Brownie points all round folks... Many thanks Gerri x

SimonSez

SimonSez Report 2 Apr 2007 23:56

a site explaining name meaning's and origin www.thinkbabynames(.)com Simon

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 3 Apr 2007 01:09

Most Non-conformists (which includes Jews of course) favoured names from the Old Testament. With a surname like Jacob, I would expect they were of Jewish ancestry, if not actually practicing Jews. I have several men called Jabez in my family - it often gets mistranscribed as JAMES, or even JAMEZ, lol! OC

Pandora

Pandora Report 29 Sep 2007 11:24

I just wanted to point out that this is NOT my reply even though it has been credited to me. Something weird going on here.

Pandora Mac

02/04/2007 18:16:26

So is Jabez Jewish?

My Grandmother always said she was not jewish, but her Aunts and Uncles had names like Jabez, Septimus, Ruth, Sarah, Rubimiah, and Benjamin along with Fred, George and Agnes. They were all born mid 1800.s in London and their surname was Jacob. Strange name is their Grandfather Payne Jacob.

Fran

Diane

Diane Report 29 Sep 2007 12:07

Hi my Great grandfather was called Jabez William Fields. On His marriage and his daughters marriage certificate it gives his full name, but on all the census he was known as William. Maybe your Jabez had a middle name and used that.

Diane