Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please help at a brick wall and dont know where to

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hazel

Hazel Report 6 Jul 2007 17:43

I everyone, i am very new to all this which probably explains why i'm getting nowhere. Here is my problem My nanan's mum and dad were called george and priscilla cartwright who live in ackworth. I myself have visited their grave in ackworth and from that have taken the year of birth from the headstone, however, when i search BMD indexes and census, i can not get a match. George cartrwight was born in 1890. We believe strongly that he was born i ackworth. Priscilla cartwright for which i have no maiden name was born in 1898. Please can someone tell me where i am going wrong. I am so very grateful for any possible help anyone can give me Hazel

Sam

Sam Report 6 Jul 2007 17:46

What was your nanas name and when was she born? Where is Ackworth? There are loads of George Cartwrights, you need to narrow it down. You won't find Priscilla until you know her maiden name. Sam x

Hazel

Hazel Report 6 Jul 2007 17:48

Nanan is called joyce hilda hagerty. Ackworth is in west yorkshire - wakefield area! thanks

Hazel

Hazel Report 6 Jul 2007 17:49

Hagerty was nanan's married name, maiden name was obviously cartwright

Sam

Sam Report 6 Jul 2007 17:49

I take it she was born Joyce Hilda Cartwright? When? if you can find her birth registration it will give you Priscilla's maiden name. Sam x

Sam

Sam Report 6 Jul 2007 17:54

Is this your nanan? Name Birth Date Death Registration Month/Year Death Age (est) DISTRICT Inferred County Joyce Hilda Hagerty 17 Apr 1927 Jul 1986 59 Pontefract Yorkshire

Sam

Sam Report 6 Jul 2007 17:57

It looks like Priscilla's maiden name was COX. This is the birth registration for Joyce: Cartwright Joyce H - MMN Cox - Hemsworth - 9c 287 - Q2 1927. You now need to look for a marriage for George Cartwright and Priscila Cox. You can search for free on Ancestry but make sure you search the complete indexes and not the partial ones. Sam x

Hazel

Hazel Report 6 Jul 2007 18:08

OMG - yes birth date is correct. how on earth did u find it?

Hazel

Hazel Report 6 Jul 2007 18:15

My mum has just said that cox was Priscilla's 1st married name not her maiden name! Any ideas?

Pimms

Pimms Report 6 Jul 2007 18:15

George Cartwright: Apr-Jun 1890, S. Shields, Vol 10a Page 843

Sandra

Sandra Report 6 Jul 2007 18:21

Hi Priscillas maiden name & widowed name will be on her marriage cert to george. Was your nan the eldest child ??

Hazel

Hazel Report 6 Jul 2007 18:24

Nanan was the youngest child, she had one older step sister who was milliscent cox who as yet i have not been able to get a birth year, having to guess at it

Hazel

Hazel Report 6 Jul 2007 18:37

Pims where do i find the info for that?

Sam

Sam Report 6 Jul 2007 19:51

I found your nanans birthdate by looking her death registration up on Ancestry. Do you know who Millicent married? Maybe you can find her death the same way which will tell you her birthdate. Sam x

Alison

Alison Report 6 Jul 2007 19:59

The nearest entry is George Richard Cartwright, Year of Registration 1888, Jul-Aug-Sept District Wakefield. Yorkshire, West Riding Volume 9c Page 54.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 6 Jul 2007 20:29

Hazel, You can search BMDs on Ancestry for free. You just need to register. http://www.ancestry.*co.uk/search/rectype/vital/freebmd/bmd.aspx Remove the * Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 6 Jul 2007 20:47

Hazel, When did George and Priscilla die? If we can find their deaths on Ancestry a date of birth might be listed next to it. Rose

Bryan HOGGARTH

Bryan HOGGARTH Report 6 Jul 2007 23:17

As a first port of call for Freebmd information I find it better to use the actual Freebmd site which has better search facility than the copy which is available in Ancestry. It is also more up to date since Ancestry only take a dump once in a while. The address is like http://freebmd*rootsweb*com/ Bryan

~Summer Scribe~

~Summer Scribe~ Report 7 Jul 2007 00:17

Important note, while you're getting some wonderful help. The date of birth on a headstone might not always be 100% accurate.

Pimms

Pimms Report 7 Jul 2007 08:04

Hazel, I use 'findmypast' which is a subscription facility. To find more info on George you'll have to send off for his birth certificate to GRO which costs £7. Pimms