Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

No Father on Birth Certificate...

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Star

Star Report 7 Jul 2007 21:34

In the 1980's...just blank??? Why??? Any help/advice very much appreciated. Thanks! ! !

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Jul 2007 21:37

The child was probably illegitimate. Kath. x

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 7 Jul 2007 21:40

Illegitimate, is the answer, sorry! OC

Star

Star Report 7 Jul 2007 22:06

Illegitimate ~ even though it was the 80's?! ! ! He even has his Dad's name as his middle name and his Dad's surname, so how does that work when his Dad isn't down as the Father? Confusing... Stella

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Jul 2007 22:09

Were the parents married at the time? Perhaps the mother was married to someone else at the time so wasn't free to marry until after the birth. When you say he has the father's surname what do you mean, as you say the father isn't mentioned on the certificate. Kath. x

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 7 Jul 2007 22:11

Star If I were you, I'd go look for the marriage of ...who you think his parents are Kind regards Gerri x

Julie

Julie Report 7 Jul 2007 22:26

Star It still happens now days If my OH wasn't there with me to register our 2 children then his name wouldn't of gone down, and all because we're not married. Julie Adding this on to go with what Reg has put. My 2 were born in 1997 & 2000 and they are both illegitimate

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 7 Jul 2007 22:29

Star Parents not married = child illegitimate. Illegitimate = father's name cannot go in the space for 'father' UNLESS he attends registration with the mother. surname = anything you want to call yourself, as long as you are not doing it to defraud or deceive. OC

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Jul 2007 23:23

Definition illegitimate adjective 1 born of parents not married to each other Reg

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 8 Jul 2007 00:30

The word illegitimate also has legal implications, mostly to do with inheritance rights. An illegitimate child cannot automatically inherit any property etc from the Estate of his biological father, and has no inheritance rights unless the biological father specifically names the child in his Will. This was an important distinction when the laws of Primogeniture were in operation in England, up until the late 1800s. OC

Victoria

Victoria Report 8 Jul 2007 00:31

Star, I suppose one can never be 100% sure - but if the child you are talking about has the name of the man you think is his father as his given names, it implies he is, indeed the father. I know of one case, back in the 1700s where an illigitimate child is baptised as William Wix and with his mother's surname. The baptism immediately prior to the child's baptism was the child of William and Eliner Wix. I don't think it is drawing too long a bow to think that William Wix was the child's father. Victoria

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 8 Jul 2007 01:02

Victoria It was very common for a child to be given the name of his biological father as his two forenames - indeed, it was often encouraged by Vicars, and later by Registrars, who felt sympathetic towards the woman, but whose hands were tied by the law of the land. A nice compromise. The fathers of most illegitimate children are well known, both to the mother AND to the wider community. OC

Star

Star Report 10 Jul 2007 10:16

Ok, thankyou people...I get it now. They weren't married at the time and maybe the Father was at work for example when the Mother registered the baby, so therefore the Father wouldn't have gone onto the Birth certificate unless married at the time, which then legally she is allowed to do without him being there?

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 10 Jul 2007 10:21

Star Yes, that's right, except that the law of the land states that the husband of a married woman is ALWAYS (and legally) the father of her children. If he isn't, and knows he isn't, he has to go to the Registrar and kick up a big fuss, and provide proof that he is not the father of the child. OC

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Jul 2007 21:12

It would depend on whether or not he had been married to the child's mother. If he was her husband, he would, as OC said, have been automatically assumed to be the child's father........unless the mother indicated otherwise. Reg

Camille

Camille Report 12 Jul 2007 21:13

Hi Beryl I have a relative who died during his wife pregnancy , on the birth cert. it states Father's name and' Deceased ' below his name.

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 12 Jul 2007 21:33

just to add if the parents marry after the birth, they legitimise the birth and the birth can be re registered with the father added. My twins were registered (1995) with no father, as he couldn't get time off work to attend with me, however youngest (1998) has his father on his cert. All three were registered with my maiden name. When we married 2002 we re-registerd all three births. Now if we apply for one of the boys certs, we will only get the latest one showing them with the married surname.

Margaret

Margaret Report 12 Jul 2007 22:09

From what I am reading in this thread about registering births - it seems that you have to go to an office in person to do that. Is that correct? Over here, I just got a form that we completed and signed and mailed in to the relevant department of the government. They do check with the hospital etc. about the birth before accepting the application (this I know because I made a mistake with my second son's birth date - I got mixed up with the spaces for date and month on the form)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Jul 2007 22:12

When our son was born, someone from the registrar's office visited the hospital on a weekly basis to do the paperwork. Mind you, new mothers stayed in hospital for 10 days at that time. Reg

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 12 Jul 2007 22:13

Margaret It is a long time since I have had to register the birth of a child, lol, but basically, yes, you have to go in person to do the registration. However many large hospitals have regular visits from the Registrar, who will do the registration there and then, for those who wish to do so. OC