Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth look up please

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mowerman

Mowerman Report 24 Jul 2007 18:32

Looking for the birth of Arthur J Underwood have date of 14/9/1910 in Dorset Any help appreciated Frank

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 24 Jul 2007 18:37

not reg in either sept or dec qtr of 1910 , how sure are you of birth year

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 24 Jul 2007 18:45

the only one coming up for those same two qtrs 1909-1911 is this one Arthur J Underwood Sept qtr 1909 Alverstoke 2b 531. Alverstoke is in Hampshire.

Mowerman

Mowerman Report 24 Jul 2007 18:59

Hi Shirley, Just spoken to my mother who has now double checked and on his army records when he became a commisioned officer his date of birth is given as 4/10/1909 in Bury Regis Dorset. Thanks for looking Frank

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 24 Jul 2007 19:03

Should that be Bere Regis in Dorset? Maureen

Mowerman

Mowerman Report 24 Jul 2007 19:30

Glitter Baby, Could well be Bere Regis, proably why I could not find it on map. Frank

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 24 Jul 2007 20:39

Do you know when he died? There's this death: Name: Arthur Jacktan Underwood Birth Date: 4 Oct 1910 Death Registration Month/Year: Sep 1997 Age at death (estimated): 86 Registration district: Caerphilly Inferred County: Mid Glamorgan Register number: 6 Entry Number: 50 Rose

Mowerman

Mowerman Report 24 Jul 2007 20:56

Thanks Portlandrose, Yes, know details of his death, that his him, he was my uncle and I attended the funeral, very grand affair standing room only coffin draped in the union flag cap and medals on coffin, just his elusive birth record can not find. Frank

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 24 Jul 2007 20:59

Do you know of any siblings or his parents? The informant on his death cert was a year out with his birth date. Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 24 Jul 2007 21:07

Is Jacktan correct or is it a spelling mistake? Rose

Mowerman

Mowerman Report 24 Jul 2007 21:13

Jacktan is correct, do not know orgin of it though Frank

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 24 Jul 2007 21:23

Have checked all qtrs 1909 - 1912 and nothing found other than that Alverstoke one. Bere Regis would have come under Wareham reg district at that time

Mowerman

Mowerman Report 24 Jul 2007 21:32

Thanks Shirley, will check his death and marriage certificate when I go to my mothers see if I can find any clues. Thaks again all for looking. Frank

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 24 Jul 2007 21:33

Frank, Who where his parents and siblings? Rose

Alison

Alison Report 24 Jul 2007 23:45

I have found that sometimes my descendants believed they were born in such and such a place because that was their first memory, i.e. their parents moved there when they were young so they presumed that's where they were born. So the Alverstoke birth certificate may well be the correct one - the quarter and year are correct. Alison.

Mowerman

Mowerman Report 25 Jul 2007 16:34

Alison, If I had not known Arthur personally I would assume that the Alverstone record could be him, although the second name is James, but Arthur was very meticulous and although I could be proved wrong I would not have expected him to make a mistake like that. Just a pity I did not start this search while he was still alive, only started it now because my mother thought it would be intresting to find out about his army career. PortlandRose, He had two brothers that I know of, Leslie Reginald 19/12/1913 - 17/10/1992 dates taken from picture of his grave. His other brother was called Stanley do not know of a second name no idea as yet when he was born. My mother tells me according to record she has father's name is Charles Only marriage been able to find so far are for an Albert Edward Underwood to Lydia Mary Devenish in Dec 1909 in Portsmouth Frank

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Jul 2007 16:48

Well that marriage you found is correct cos here's Leonard birth reg Dec qtr 1913 Leonard Reginald Underwood mmn DEVENISH, Portsmouth 2b 899 so they married Portsmouth and by 1913 are still in Portsmouth . Portsmouth is Hampshire and so is Alverstoke!!! so its looking still very likely that could be the right one for Arthur Shirley

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 25 Jul 2007 17:42

Shirley, That birth is for a Leonard not Leslie. This looks to be Leonard's death: Name: Leonard Richard Underwood Birth Date: 27 Sep 1913 Death Registration Month/Year: Dec 1997 Age at death (estimated): 84 Registration district: Portsmouth Inferred County: Hampshire Register number: E52A Entry Number: 255 Details match the birth. Here's Leslie's: Name: Leslie Reginald Underwood Birth Date: 19 Dec 1913 Death Registration Month/Year: Oct 1992 Age at death (estimated): 78 Registration district: Wycombe Inferred County: Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire Volume: 19 Page: 1348 I'm beginning to think they were born with a different surname. Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 25 Jul 2007 17:47

Frank, What was Charles' occupation? Rose

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Jul 2007 17:50

Hang on!!!! Theres no reg for LESLIE Underwood in dec 1913 or Mar 1914. Just realised the one i found was LEONARD Reginald. strange lol Shirley Crossed with the last two replies!!