Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mormons family search website

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stephen

Stephen Report 19 Jun 2012 16:20

Hi there
I haven't done any genealogy for a long time. I am trying to find the Mormon's website which had a massive amount of information. I have tried 'familysearch.org' but it doesn't look right and I can't get into it anyway. Can anyone help? Thank you.

Maddie

Maddie Report 19 Jun 2012 16:26

is this the link you are using
FamilySearch.org — Free Family History and Genealogy Records
https://familysearch.org/
maddie

trailertrash

trailertrash Report 19 Jun 2012 17:05

I cannot get onto this site either even though I was on it 2 days ago. Page comes up blank now from 'my favourites'. I used to be able to type in for example, smith, british isles, england, devon, search and get all of them. Now I cannot find diddlysquat... anyone help please...

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 19 Jun 2012 17:35

I have just tried to get IGI family search but it has changed again!!!!!! I wish we could have the old site back as I used to find a lot of info on there. They also used to give you all the childrens names from the batch no. but when they changed the site you had to look down a whole list of parents and children.

trailertrash

trailertrash Report 19 Jun 2012 17:43

the old site was great, you could get 200 names per page and just go on and on looking. It is awful now!! I used to learn a lot about families in different areas of the county, migrating off to another parish. Has all this gone now???

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 19 Jun 2012 19:27

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/igi

This was the link to the old site. Not sure how much difference there is now. I just input a couple of names and the style of presentation is not the old way

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 19 Jun 2012 20:59

I've had the OLD IGI in my favourites for donkeys years & have used it many many times,even continuing to do so when the new style was introduced, however the Old IGI is not available today!
All I am gettiing is the not found / error message, such a shame if the Old one has been removed, it is soo much easier to use than the new set up.

Joan.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Jun 2012 13:17

The 'old' site has been discontinued - more's the pity.

It was far superior to the 'new' version.

But that can be said for most sites - including Ancestry and this one.

The (mostly) kids who run the sites only want to show how technically 'au fait' they are - with no consideration for the site users

Stephen

Stephen Report 20 Jun 2012 17:14

Thanks Reggie. Yes I agree I have found the same problem with
'improvements' Steve.

Alan

Alan Report 20 Jun 2012 18:13

The Church is continually updating and improving the site. They aim to have every single record that they have digitalised within 10yrs which is a massive undertaking.

If U R unhappy with any of the workings of the site, drop them an email. They WILL respond unlike some sites not too distant from here lol. :-D :-D :-D

Redrobin

Redrobin Report 20 Jun 2012 19:55

I have sent an email to point out that I miss the availability of the family group sheets and the IGI record sheet.
I always printed a copy when researching and keep them in my family files.
Not all members of my family have a computer and looking through them jogs memories and stories.
They have also been a great teaching aid for the grandchildren.
I hope they reinstate them soon.

I appreciate all the work the church is doing but sometimes taking away things like that have a negative impact.

Regard Sylvia

Cheshiremaid

Cheshiremaid Report 21 Jun 2012 02:08

I'm afraid I have to disagree I have found far more information on my ancestors on the new site than I ever did on IGI and I can still use the batch numbers on the new site.

Linda

Redrobin

Redrobin Report 21 Jun 2012 22:29

Hi,
Just want to update you all.

I did send the email asking for help and have had communication back and forwards very quickly.
Having understood exactly what I wanted they have assured me that once the upgrading of the site is completed later in the year, the sheets I like to print off will be available again.
They also sent me lots of information and guidelines to better my research and suggestions on what to do until the upgrade is complete.
If you have any queries it is well worth getting in touch with them through the help page. I am very pleased with the response I received.

Regards Sylvia

Bernard

Bernard Report 22 Jun 2012 14:48

I find the new site just about useless. I could find most things I wanted on the old site, but not now. I think the trouble is that most sites are put together by Kids who have been brought up with Computers and the products of Universeties who have had all the commen sense educated out of them. Most people doing family trees are not young computer geeks but people born before computers were even though of.

Bernard

trailertrash

trailertrash Report 22 Jun 2012 21:24

I also complained and I have had a very polite email by return, the old site will not be returning, but they have given me instructions on how to use the new site!!! Would rather have the old site back...it will be missed.

Cheshiremaid

Cheshiremaid Report 23 Jun 2012 02:39

I suspect it is just me then who appreciates the new site....perhaps it varies with different counties.

I am wondering if anyone else used the pilot site besides myself which was available alongside IGI for some time previous to this newly developed site.

For a short while, well at least for myself, when finding a parish record the image of the record was available to view and download which was an added bonus. Sadly this facility was withdrawn and researchers were then directed to FMP and another genealogy site where fees were incurred :-(

Linda

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Jun 2012 06:21

No Linda

you are not alone!

I also much prefer the new site.

I also tried the pilot site, and could see the images.

At least ALL the records they show are from Parish Registers, and therefore not somebody's made up fantasies!

However ........................... I did notice last week that the site did not find a name that I was seeking BUT down at the bottom of the page it directed me to 3 family records

so you could try entering your name in the search boxes on the new site, and then scroll right down to the bottom of the page (or possibly the end of the finds), and see what it says.

sylvia

Stephen

Stephen Report 23 Jun 2012 08:14

Hi Sylvia
I am persevering with the new site and I strongly agree with you if it is the case that the records are all from Parish Registers and not contributed by others - I have been lead astray with incorrect contributions from others many times.
Steve.

mgnv

mgnv Report 23 Jun 2012 08:27

Where's simplicity when you need it.

The new site has 596 US collections, 73 UK collections, 62 Canadian collections, plus others from the rest of the world. The old site had maybe half a dozen links, but I only used 3 - IGI, US SSDI, and the census - none of this confusion with naturalization, land, probate, military, etc., records

On the old site one just got the 1881/1880 census - none of this confusing choice about which census to look up.

Similarly, on the IGI, say I look up my Thirlaways in Chester-le-Street. I know the extracts stop at 1812, so I didn't need to bother with 1813-1836. Now I have to check the unindexed images of the Durham bishop's transcripts - so much more complicated.

Thelma

Thelma Report 23 Jun 2012 12:38

Like many others I have always discounted submitted records on the IGI.
Recently I found a marriage on FMP which was not on IGI parish records.
Turns out the IGI records are incomplete but the submitted records are correct.
Quote from Devon FHS;
The IGI was compiled from transcripts made by D&CRS in the early 20th century. These transcripts were almost all done from Bishops Transcripts. At that time, the registers were still in the individual churches.