Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Attachments to PMs

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Potty

Potty Report 21 Nov 2011 15:29

Just to let everyone know that the new facility for adding attachments to PMs works. Means we don't now have to ask people to send us their email addresses to send documents, etc to them.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 21 Nov 2011 15:35

Just noticed the change Potty, thought I was going mad! Well, a good idea I must say.
Jan

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 21 Nov 2011 22:15

Just saw thsi message, very handy now that you can do this! :-D

jax

jax Report 21 Nov 2011 23:14

As not being very computer literate, if I wanted to send a London marriage image ect from ancestry it sounds like hard work...I cannot work how to save things to my computer nor do I want a load of stuff which is not related to me in my files to be honest

Maybe its just me??

jax

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 21 Nov 2011 23:19

GR updated the site today,

some updates are a vast improvement however when i try to look at my older sent messages i get the following

Warning
It is not possible to read this conversation

so i cannot use these old messages as a reference for future communications with my contacts

Roy

also put this on Norfolkboy's thread on the general board

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Nov 2011 07:12

and it seems that I cannot send pms

the ones I tried to send Monday afternoon and evening have all gone to Drafts, not Sent

and, yes, I did click on Send. I was very very careful to do that ..... especially with pms that I sent for a second time!

sylvia

Gai

Gai Report 22 Nov 2011 08:52

Sylvia,

I just tried to send you a pm and first time it wouldn't go because my subject title wasn't long enough.

Then i changed the title to fit but it had dropped your name off, so when I went to send it , it had no receivers name.

Gai

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 22 Nov 2011 08:59

Gai just sent you a pm. Did it come through ok?

Heading is
"Message Test"

Text is
"Test - pls ignore"

Gai

Gai Report 22 Nov 2011 09:14

Yes it did IGP.

With the old system would your name have come through or should the message have read from InspectorGreenPen.

For the record your name came through.

Joy

Joy Report 22 Nov 2011 09:22

I would not wish to send attachments here.

IGP - if I click on your name as if to send a message, the recipient's name is your first name and the first letter of your surname.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 22 Nov 2011 09:40

I don't think the way in which names are used has changed.

Message recipient uses your First Name and your Current surname. (My current surname is just an initial) However, Contact name uses your First Name and your Birth surname, as does what you see under Tree Owner.

So Gai, you should be able to see two names for me, just as I can for you.

This aside, it does seem that you can send and receive messages without problem.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Nov 2011 05:24

Gai

your message came through fine

but I cannot reply to, or send new, messages!

They just go straight to Drafts

and yes, I have clicked on Send

............... or at least on the button labelled Send on my computer, which is the left hand one

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Nov 2011 05:29

and I ahve just tried to send you a new message, by clicking on Send message on your profile

It went ............................ somewhere .................... I don't know where

I did not get a "Message successfully sent"

But it is not showing in Sent or in Drafts.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

sylvia

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 23 Nov 2011 06:40

Sylvia,

Have you logged completely out of the site and back in again since the last set of changes?

This was something we always insisted staff did at work whenever we were rolling out system changes. We also recommended that they shut their computer down completely every now and again and re-booted it from scratch.

No guarantees it will help matters, but for what it is worth, I shut my PC down ever night and can only say that the sort of problems you and a handful of others keep reporting rarely, if ever, manifest themselves for me.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Nov 2011 06:51

IGP

no, I have not logged out and then back in to the site

BUT I also, like you, completely shut down my computer every night, turning off the power at the source.

I will try logging out and then back in

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Nov 2011 06:58

IGP

I have logged out, and back in

I have sent a pm to you, headed Test

I did not get Success Message sent

Nor did I get Success draft

It is not showing in Draft, nor in Sent

can you let me know if you receive it?

sylvia

Gai

Gai Report 23 Nov 2011 07:55

Hi Sylvia,

According to my toolbar and the home page I have a new unread message.
Wish I knew were it was because there is nothing new in my inbox.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 23 Nov 2011 08:11

Sylvia,

If you shut down your PC each evening then it will actually log you out of the site as well. The reason you think you are still logged in next time is because you have set save password which causes your PC to enter it for you without you having to bother.

Anyway, no message so far so still problems as far as you are concerned.

Another thought. Are you still on IE6? Do you have another browser you can try?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Nov 2011 23:56

Hi IGP

yes, I am still on IE6

I also have GR on Mozilla Firefox ................. but there is something wrong with that one as well .

............. I've never yet managed to stay on GR for longer than 5 minutes before being kicked off!

However, as it is several months since I last tried that browser, and gave up in disgust ............. I will try it again

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 Nov 2011 00:03

well, aren't you the clever one! :-D

Messages sent through Mozilla Firefox seem to be going through ................ at least I'm getting

Success
New Message has been sent

Now the question is ........ will the site itself work for longer than a few minutes?