Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

UPDATE ON RALPH KING

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jean

Jean Report 11 Dec 2010 23:15

I am trying to find the marriage of my great uncle Ralph Sidney King who emigrated to Canada in 1910 on the ship the Tunisian. He was born in 1887 in Louth Lincolnshire and the ship was bound for Quebec and Montreal.
I have found a Ralph KIng on the 1911 census in Quebec aged 24 which is the right age. But I am having great difficulty trying to find a marriage.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Jean in Somerset

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 12 Dec 2010 00:04

But the 24 year old Ralph King on the 1911 Canadian census was the son of Robert & Catherine and they were all born Quebec.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 12 Dec 2010 00:34

There's a 29 year old Ralph King on the 1911 census in Maisonneuve, Montreal. He was born April 1882, England and emigrated 1910.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 12 Dec 2010 00:59

I checked FreeBMD and the 1901 census and your Ralph Sidney King was definitely born 1887, Louth but I can't find one that matches on the 1911 Canadian census. I also can't find the passenger list that you refer to, even though I have Ancestry.ca.

Jean

Jean Report 12 Dec 2010 16:43

Thank you Margaret for your replies. I did find both Ralph Kings on the 1911 census but thought the 24 year old might be right one but obviously not as you have found his parents in Canada. My Ralph's parents are Charles King and Betsey Maria Baxter Brown both born in Licolnshire. The 29 year old could still be the right one although the age is not quite right.
I found the passenger list on Find my past. The ship left Liverpool on 28th July 1910 bound for Quebec and Montreal and Ralph is listed as a labourer. In England he worked as an office boy in the port of Grimbsby in Lincolnshire.
I know he definitely emigrated to Canada and that he did get married but don't know to who or when. Is there anyway of looking up marriages in Montreal?

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 12 Dec 2010 17:52

Ah! What about this one?

Quebec Vital and Church Records (Drouin Collection), 1621-1967
about Ralph Sydney John King
Name: Ralph Sydney John King
Spouse: Johanna Anderson Grant
Event Year: 1923
Event: Mariage (Marriage)
Religion: Presbyterian
Place of Worship or Institution: Montréal (Presbyterian Fairmount Taylor)
Province: Québec (Quebec)

Just off to look at the original.
No, the original doesn't tell me much more except date was 27 September. No parents' names and I can't make out one witness name, the other is Isabelle Falcons Grant.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 12 Dec 2010 18:22

This was on UK incoming passenger list, Could it be him?

UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960
about Ralph King
Name: Ralph King
Birth Date: abt 1886
Port of Departure: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Arrival Date: 30 Jun 1923
Port of Arrival: Liverpool, England
Ports of Voyage: Quebec
Ship Name: Montclare
Search Ship Database: View the 'Montclare' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping line: Canadian Pacific Steamship Line
Official Number: 145964

Original says he's heading to 21 Macauley St., Grimsby.

David

David Report 12 Dec 2010 19:02

Jean,
Do you have any indication that Ralph remained in Montreal, or anywhere in the province of Quebec? Countless immigrants arrived on ships that first docked in Quebec City or Montreal, simply because that is where the major ports were, but relatively few remained there. For the most part, English-speaking immigrants went on to Ontario or Western Canada.
If Ralph settled somewhere else, you'll have to search records in the other nine provinces, all of which have different records and different rules on access.
Do you have anything that suggests Ralph was married in Montreal, or could the marriage have taken place elsewhere in Canada?
Dave

Teresa

Teresa Report 13 Dec 2010 11:34

Not sure this helps but might be worth a thought

England Marriages, 1538–1973
Groom's Name: Ralph King
Groom's Birth Date: 1887
Groom's Birthplace:
Groom's Age: 22
Bride's Name: Gertrude Cousins
Bride's Birth Date: 1888
Bride's Birthplace:
Bride's Age: 21
Marriage Date: 16 Feb 1909
Marriage Place: Clee, Lincoln, England
Groom's Father's Name: Charles King
Groom's Mother's Name:
Bride's Father's Name: Joseph Cousins
Bride's Mother's Name:
Groom's Race:
Groom's Marital Status:
Groom's Previous Wife's Name:
Bride's Race:
Bride's Marital Status:
Bride's Previous Husband's Name:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M02752-8
System Origin: England-EASy
Source Film Number: 1450453

there is a Gertude King going to Canada in 1910 to join Husband , bound for Regina. Husband is a Gen Labourer.

Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935
about Gertrude King
Name: Gertrude King
Date of Arrival: 24 Aug 1910
Vessel: Royal George
Search Ship Database: View the 'Royal George' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: Montreal, Quebec
Port of Departure: Bristol, England
Roll: T-4770

Teresa

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 13 Dec 2010 13:38

This is the 1911 census of that Gertrude in Regina, Saskatchewan. However her husband seems to be Charles. The writing is horrible, as you can see the birthdates are mistranscribed. I believe his is Feb. 1875 and hers Nov. 1874. They were all born England and all emigrated 1910.

King Charles Balon M Head M Feb 1895 36
King Gertrude F Wife M Mar 1894 36
King Doris Helena F Daughter S Sep 1899 11
King Charles Henry M Son S Nov 1901 9

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 13 Dec 2010 13:48

I think this could possibly be the couple in Saskatchewan. His middle name on the 1911 census could very well be Boston:

Marriages Dec 1898 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KING Charles Boston Chelsea 1a 745
Salisbury Gertrude Phoebe Chelsea 1a 745

David

David Report 13 Dec 2010 16:58

Jean, there is a way you might be able to solve your mystery, and find out much more about Ralph. Every person in Canada aged 16 or older was required to register for possible conscription in 1940, when Ralph would have been in his 50s. Those registration forms remain on file, and are exempt from the more onerous provisions of privacy legislation. You can obtain the documents concerning anyone whose death you can prove or who was born at least 110 years ago by writing to Library and Archives Canada. Here is a link:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/genealogy/022-911.007-e.html

Jean

Jean Report 13 Dec 2010 22:40

Thanks Margaret ,David and Teresa for all that information. That is definitely him on the return trip to England in 1923 as his family lived at Macauley Street, Grimsby. It also looks like the marriage in 1923 could be correct as his initials are RSJ but I did not know what the J was for. It seems a little strange that he returned to England in June before he was married in September rather than after he was married.
He came back to England again in 1953 with his wife for a visit, when I met him but I was only 8 years old at the time.
I will look further into the conscription forms to try and find out more about him.
I am afraid I donot know whereabouts he settled in Canada.

Once again many thanks for all your help.

Jean

Jean

Jean Report 14 Dec 2010 22:33

I have looked into the 1940 national registration but it is very expensive £29 plus taxes, although it appears you do get a lot of information.

I have come to the conclusion that there is no easy cheap way to trace your Canadian ancestors.

One other thing I have tried to find Ralph's 1953 visit to England on the Find My Past passenger lists but have had no luck so wonder if anyone could check on CA Ancestry for me.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 14 Dec 2010 23:07

I'm afraid I can't find anything more on him on Ancestry.ca.

Jean

Jean Report 16 Dec 2010 12:24

Thanks for looking for me Margaret

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 16 Dec 2010 13:07

This may help;

Canada, Ocean Arrivals (Form 30A), 1919-1924 about Ralph King
Name: Ralph King
Estimated birth year: abt 1886
Birth Place: Gremsby
Date of Arrival: 23 Jul 1923
Port of Arrival: Quebec
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Ship Name: Montrose

Martial Status; Single
Occupation; Picture Framer
Address in UK and nearest relative; Mr C King (Father) 21 Macauley St. Grimsby

Going to: 4131 Berre St. Montreal (Home and proprietor)

First arrived in Canada in July 1910.

And then I found this;

Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935 about Rafft King
Name: Rafft King
Estimated birth year: abt 1887
Date of Arrival: 5 Aug 1910
Vessel: Tunisian
Search Ship Database: View the 'Tunisian' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: Montreal, Quebec
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Roll: T-4770

Occupation; Joiner

Martial status; MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this why he left the UK and didn't marry for another 13 years?

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 16 Dec 2010 13:12

maybe something to keep in mind?

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
Marriages Mar 1909 (>99%)
COUSINS Gertrude Grimsby 7a 924
>>>>>>>>>KING Ralph Grimsby 7a 924
REVELL Minnie Elizabeth Grimsby 7a 924
SHREEVE Fred Grimsby 7a 924

The 1911 census shows Fred Shreeve married to Minnie Elizabeth..... so if this is your Ralph he married Gertrude Cousins

Dee x

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 16 Dec 2010 13:17

Well done, Dee! You found what I couldn't.

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 16 Dec 2010 13:24

Hi MM,

haven't been about for quite awhile........ decided that I shall only pop in now and again and just mainly keep an eye on the threads I already have, but it's nice to still help out when I can.

Hope you're well and all ready for Christmas?

Dee x