Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Confused

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gary

Gary Report 18 Aug 2010 17:39

I am new to this site, having just registered. What is confusing me is what happens between the end of the 1911 census and now?

Do the various census only relate to births? i have tried to look for my dad's birth which was in 1920 and get nothing. Equally I have tried to find my own birth which was in 1969 and find nothing. Am I misunderstanding how to use all of this information? Any help would be welcome.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 18 Aug 2010 17:47

For your birth in 1969 you would need to check on Ancestry or Findmypast

This site does not have any census or birth records

Your membership number suggests you registered about 2004

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Aug 2010 17:48

BMD,s are on FreeBMD which is free site Or you need subs to one of the paying sites like Ancestry or Find My Past,
Did you take basic membership on genes?

your dads birth wil be on FreeBMD . but yours wont as they not transcribed yet , they are working on up to c1940 at the mo

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 18 Aug 2010 17:56

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Are your parents Norman and Rosalind?

RobG

RobG Report 18 Aug 2010 18:11

Censuses since the 1911 one are not available to the public, so you won't find them.
Also, when looking for births (or marriages and deaths for that matter) they are grouped in the indices in to quarters of when the event was registered (not when it actually happened). Therefore a January birth would (probably) be shown as March, but a March birth may be either March or June (if it was not registered until the start of April).

jax

jax Report 18 Aug 2010 18:14

What I cannot understand GB is just because someone has an old membership number does'nt mean they have used the site before.

Accordingto my details I registered in 2007 I think it was before that.....but I had never used the boards until Jan 2010

jax

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 18 Aug 2010 18:15

Just registered?

Does not say just started to use the site

jax

jax Report 18 Aug 2010 18:22

maybe just registered means just paid for membership
to use the boards ect?

jax

Joy

Joy Report 18 Aug 2010 18:32

what happens between the end of the 1911 census and now?
- I shall bring forward a thread giving information about census for you.

Concerning birth registrations, they will not, as far as I am aware, be found on this site - but they can be found on the ancestry and the find my past sites, and can be found by searching fiche or films in records offices or in main libraries.

Gary

Gary Report 18 Aug 2010 19:13

Yeps - parents are Norman and Rosalind :)

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 18 Aug 2010 19:16

Births Mar 1920 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lester Norman Spooner Manchester N. 8d See J 31

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Births Sep 1920 (>99%)

Lester Norman F Stevenson Devonport 5b 561

Births Dec 1920 (>99%)

Lester Norman H Hope W.Ham 4a 522

As your parents marriage is just Norman than if 1920 is correct year of birth then possibly the Manchester one

You really need the marriage cert of your parents to confirm the name and occupation of his father

Gary

Gary Report 18 Aug 2010 19:23

Hi GB

If I registered then I had forgotten. I have tried a number of times to find out about my family but never manage to get started. This is the first time i have actually paid for information but am still floundering about. I have taken a gold membership so hopefully will get better over time.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 18 Aug 2010 19:25

Most members will tell you not to take out Gold or Platimum membership on this site as GR hold NO records at all and you are just redirected to other sites.

Gary

Gary Report 18 Aug 2010 19:26

Apologies, I miscalculated. He was born in 1930, not 1920 in London as far as I know. East end.

Gary

Gary Report 18 Aug 2010 19:29

Wish I had known :(

Cathy

Cathy Report 18 Aug 2010 19:32

How do you find out what your membership is please?

Renes

Renes Report 18 Aug 2010 19:54

Cathy

Your membership follows you Name at the top right hand corner of this page - just under adverts
For example mine says Irene - Basic Member

If you "hover" your mouse over your name on this posting - your membership number is shown at the very bottom of your browser page

Irene

jax

jax Report 18 Aug 2010 20:00

If you click my account at the top then membership and payment details it will say when you joined

jax

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 18 Aug 2010 20:22

Have sent a private message with two possible births for your father.

Your own birth is on Ancestry, registered in the March qtr. of 1969 in Brent district.

Kath. x

Janet

Janet Report 18 Aug 2010 20:28

Just to confirm that if you have a Gold membership you will have access to the census from 1841 - 1901. I have also checked a birth of my niece in 1971 and found it straightaway. This site may not find the information as quickly as the other sites but the information is there. -JLe