Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Tree Maker - Question

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LakesLass

LakesLass Report 20 Oct 2009 12:44

Hi all.
I am soon to upgrade my computer from the stoneage to the 21st century, so maybe things will work a little quicker! I keep seeing people refering to FTM etc. and I am curious.

Could someone explain - in simple terms please! - what I could gain from buying it. I have quite a lot of family infomation going back a couple of hundred years or so with some certs/photos etc.

Also as I already subscribe to ancestry, though only the essentials package.... and of course this site, would it be worthwhile.
Thanks.

GranOfOzRubySlippers

GranOfOzRubySlippers Report 20 Oct 2009 13:21

Hi lakes lass, this is the programme I use and find it invaluable. I have photos, census and certificates attached to each person. It will take any information you want to put into it. It is a very comprehensive programme and great to work with. There are also maps. If you have Ancestry subs you can also work through FTM to access the information on there.

Sometimes you get a trial basis with Ancestry when you buy FTM. I am using 2009 programme.

Gail

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 20 Oct 2009 13:48

It is really good the FTM.

Gail, I have the 2005 one and now have the 2010. Is it straight forward to put it all on the new one?

Marion

GranOfOzRubySlippers

GranOfOzRubySlippers Report 20 Oct 2009 14:03

Marion, yes very easy, I had 2005 then upgraded. If you have any problem contact me and I may be able to help. Mine loaded and no errors at all.

Enjoy the 2010, I cannot wait to upgrade again but will have to wait a while yet.

Gail

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 20 Oct 2009 14:10

Thanks Gail.

OH is in the garden at the mo,which is a rare thing... I'll go out and do a bit of tidying up, then get him to help me out. May well need to take you up on your offer, thank you :))

Might be warmer out there than it is in here lol

Marion

Heather

Heather Report 20 Oct 2009 16:22

lakes lass, it a personal family tree program, on your own computer that you can add photos, video clips whatever to and print out information.

I use the 2006 version the most as that one has a back up to internet facility and a private home page.

As you have ancestry you could put all your info on the FTM, create a ged com (much easier than it sounds, just click a couple of tabs) and then import your tree onto ancestry. You can make it private so people cant open the tree but can see individuals names if they are looking for the same people. I have had some good contacts through that recently.

FTM2009 can be had on tesco with their deals vouchers for £15 worth of vouchers, including 6 months sub to ancestry.

Teddys Girl

Teddys Girl Report 20 Oct 2009 17:18

I have just recently bought Family Tree Maker, and PC World have them at a reasonable price. When we put it on, Ancestry, gave me another three months on my Subscription, which I had only just paid, so now I have this until Jan 2011. Good value there.

Can really recommend it, especially with the 3 months subscription.

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 20 Oct 2009 17:42

Heather...I ordered the Tesco deal one for £15, the 2010 not the 2009 as advertised. came ;))

Getting it sorted out tomorrow.

Marion

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 20 Oct 2009 18:20

Other members have also confirmed that Tesco are shipping the 2010 version, which is good, from their point of view.

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 20 Oct 2009 19:09

I wondered if they ran out of the 2009 and the demand was so high,thanks to us lot on here lol

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 20 Oct 2009 19:13

No, I think they are doing the right thing by their customers by supplying the latest version.

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 20 Oct 2009 19:17

Thats good of them then.

LakesLass

LakesLass Report 22 Oct 2009 09:29

Hi everyone

Can I just say thank you to all who have replied. It definitly seems worthwhile reading your comments.
I'm on a mission now to sort computer & then FTM. Thank goodness the nights are closing in as I don't then feel so guilty spending time researching etc rather than in the garden with hubby etc!

As always, the help received from other members is much appreciated.

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 22 Oct 2009 15:41

Thats my 2010 up and running now.
Thanks to Gail and my OH.

I'll just have to plutter about now and see how it all works.

Marion

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 6 Nov 2009 06:08

n

Jilliflower

Jilliflower Report 8 Jan 2010 23:00

nudge for Christine
Father Christmas bought me FTM 2010 with 3 months free Ancestry
Jill

Linda

Linda Report 9 Jan 2010 00:24

Hi, can someone tell me what FTM is please, it sounds like I'm missing something very worthwhile.
Linda

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 9 Jan 2010 02:16

Hi Linda

FTM is short for Family Tree Maker which is a package that provides the facility to record your family tree information. It will enable you to add people, and show you their relationships, produce reports and lists, produce all sorts of stuff that you might want such as family group sheets (mum, dad, kids), and most also let you add census images, photos, you name it, so that all your information is stored on them instead of in piles of papers. Mind you, most of us have the piles of papers as well.

There are some free ones available online such as PAF and Legacy, but there are loads you can buy too. Family Tree Maker seems to be the most popular. I can't tell you why as my version is so old it is not worth mentioning.

Hope this helps a bit.

Margaret

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 9 Jan 2010 19:27

I've still got FTM2006 version and I find it great - it's also very nice to be able to print out sheets (ones which you've decorated yourself) to show/send to family members so they can see their branch .
Wouldn't be without it.

K

Linda

Linda Report 9 Jan 2010 20:09

Thank you Margaret, seems like a trip to Tesco is on the agenda.