Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Genealogy Software

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gary

Gary Report 8 Aug 2009 16:42

Does anyone know where I can purchase a copy of UK Edition v7 of The Master Genealogist in uk, other than from the official website on download? Many thanks in advance.
Gary

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 8 Aug 2009 17:07

TWR Computing it is £23.95 for silver edition or £38.95 for the gold.

Just go to their website and you should find it. My History does it too but it is more expensive

marilyn

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 8 Aug 2009 17:46

Just out of interest, can I ask why you want this particular software?

Gary

Gary Report 8 Aug 2009 22:53

Thanks for the info, will try TWR. This was the first software that I'd bought for genealogy and liked what I saw, other programs that I have tried have put me off because of the user interface, a lot of them seem "childish" in apprarance but may, underneath be very worthwhile programs, TMG, I feel has a more professional appearance. I do also use FTM but usually if I'm sending or receiving info from someone else, saves a lot of converting files etc.

Ron

Ron Report 9 Aug 2009 08:48

The price difference between TWR and My History is a bit odd, TWR is owned by My History.

Ron
www.genealogyprinters.com

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 9 Aug 2009 10:34

Yes I gathered that he thought it was best but I wondered why, and whether or not it was worth taking a look.

I don't understand the comment about having to convert files. Isn't that what the gedcom format is all about, compatibility between different tree program. Doesn't it support gedcom then?

Ron

Ron Report 9 Aug 2009 13:09

I've not come across a famiy history program yet that is not gedcom compliant and we have over 20 different genie programs.

Ron
www.genealogyprinters.com

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 12 Aug 2009 21:26

SHRat Sorry, given up - cant read that. Try putting paragraphs in your message.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 12 Aug 2009 21:46

No it isn't good enough.

Your posting timed 22::21 which appears to be addressed to BrinsleyS is the point in question..Try reading it for yourself.

If you want to go on a crusade then you need to set it out concisely and in a manner that will endear people to take notice.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 12 Aug 2009 21:59

I'll spell it out. What is this load of ..... then

""""If I get started on why TMG suits me best I'll be here all day and not cover everything!
1st off it is EVIDENCE based, all entries should have a CITATION with an identified SOURCE and a measure of reliability of the information. It has embedded Chapman codes. There are over 60 standard reports, all of which can be filtered to include/exclude groups of people, events, tags etc. Every report can be modified if required, ( I have about 30 custom reports most of which have been created from scratch). You can make new tags and flags, (TMG makes them GEDCOM compliant, but most other programs get indegestion trying to interpret these.)
All the panels of the screen can be moved, resized or switched off. I have three different layouts, on three different machines (that is what their licence alows, My home PC, my work PC (I work for myself), and my laptop. The home PC has a large screen so the main panel has 40 lines of details for the focus person, his relationship to me, his BMDs, childrens births, census records, occupations, addresses, property transcations, newspaper reprtos, EVERYTHING, all showing the degree of confidence in the records reliability, and whether a memo is attached, oh and his M+F. underneath his children's panel gives 12 lines for their names, birth and death years, and their spouses and whether they have children on the project, next to that the same panel but these are siblings of the focus person. On the right of the screen I have a 40 line selection from all the names in the project, centred round the focus person. Then a panel with a selection of flags (male or female, living or deceased, adopted, multiple birth, etc) and a small custom toolbar with the 16 tools that I use most often. Clicking on any person or event anywhere on any of these panels takes you straight there. All my direct ancestors are automatically highlighted in every panel (you can even highlight cousins a different colour, etc.). I keep my data on a small removeable disk drive and use it DIRECT from there, everything lives on it except the screen layouts as they are different for each of my three computers. I back up to any of the pcs from time to time (must do it now, just added 30 names)

Any drawbacks, well only one, it is SO versatile and powerful that it takes a while to get to grips with. I was changing settings and view parameters for about a year before I got things JUST the way I like them.

If you are serious about your research IT IS WORTH A LOOK, try :--
http://www.gurney.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/TMG.htm
click the link for a free download of V6 trial version."""""

Wow.....Take a breath, we might even step back off the pavement.....!

If you like I'll send it to my Silver Machine and put some paragraphs in it - yes? - then some of the other members might understand the point you are trying to make.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 12 Aug 2009 22:30

Well maybe.

I accept you are trying to make a reasoned argument, but if you think that your presentation is to acceptable standards then that is a very sad indictment as to the state of today's education standards.

If I had presented this for my GCE in the 1960's It would have got an immediate fail.

SHRat

SHRat Report 12 Aug 2009 22:46

BTW Hawkwind when were you going to let on that you are/were BrinsleyS?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 13 Aug 2009 07:03

Waves to Rob Moffitt. Splendid piece of deduction.Did you ever get to see either of the bands? (BrinsleyS was really Brinsley Schwarz)
PS: BTW I'llBSW FTM, At least I can understand it.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Aug 2009 11:34

who the hell are you to criticise peoples' manner of posting!!! some people on here are dyslexic, some are not good with grammar, some are bad at explaining what they want, so live with it

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 13 Aug 2009 12:00

Ann, with some respect,

SH Rat "Seems " to know what he is talking about..

it isnt a matter of dyslexia..

unfortunately I reckon he assumes every one else is on the ball with his method of explanation........

A lot of it went OVER my head, and I assume that it went over many others' heads also.
Brinsley s was merely pointing out that the layout COULD have been more idiot friendly...........

Bob

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Aug 2009 12:11

as you said Bob "with some respect" I see no respect in his postings

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 13 Aug 2009 12:15

I am totally stumped - doesn't take much I know. Why is BrinsleyS posting as Hawkwind as well on the same thread?

Sue

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Aug 2009 12:17

why indeed!!!!

*~~*Posh*~~*

*~~*Posh*~~* Report 13 Aug 2009 13:16

Maybe he thought he was being clever and that we wouldn't notice.....After all we are not as clever as him, or that's what he thinks. :-)))

Andrew

Andrew Report 13 Aug 2009 14:39

A divine opportunity to express thoughts and experiences of different software relating to the acquisition, storage and interpretation of data relating to genealogy, is now hidden behind two pages pointless egotistical ranting.

If anyone who has contributed to or read this thread thus far is of the opinion they can contribute objectively to a discussion intended to inform others of the relative merits of a range of software, please get on touch. I am specifically interested in web-based tools which allow the sharing of data (privately) with family and friends.

There are a number of Freeware options which I have considered using, but they tend to lack sensible approach to storing the source data and give little consideration to the inclusion of images. I am considering writing a programme to handle the data and source data relating to family history research. I am tempted to do it online, such that it can be shared.

I know about the Gedcom file format – it’s limited in respect of storing evidence. One needs to think about what the data actually represents and the relationships between the data objects before accepting to represent it in linear list form.