Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Shortened versions of names

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jean

Jean Report 17 Jul 2009 16:58

What do you think the names Flossie and Netta might be a shortened version of.

thanks
jean

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 17 Jul 2009 17:06

The obvious for Flossie is Florence, but to be honest it could be almost anything! One of my great-aunts was called Nancy though her name was Martha. I'd suggest posting a query with details of names and dates if you are having problems.
Jan

Jean

Jean Report 17 Jul 2009 17:17

Thank you Janet,
I do have a Florence in my tree , so maybe that's it, I also have a Winifred, which is a middle name, maybe Netta for short.
I am actually looking for marraiges for both , Florence Jones b.1897 , I think her husband's 1st name was Fred, and Lucy Winifred Jones b. 1893, both living in Liverpool on the 1911 census.

jean

AllanC

AllanC Report 17 Jul 2009 17:21

Could Netta be Annette?

Jean

Jean Report 17 Jul 2009 17:27

Annette sounds good AllanC

jean

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 17 Jul 2009 17:28

Maybe Lucy? There are a couple of others, but this is Lucy W:

Marriages Jun 1928 (>99%)
Jones Lucy W Merrifield Liverpool 8b 145
Merrifield Frederick R Jones Liverpool 8b 145

Jan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 17 Jul 2009 17:31

There is this Fred marrying a Jones, but the wrong one!

Marriages Sep 1930 (>99%)
Gilchrist Frederick Jones Liverpool 8b 164
GRISDALE Harold Jones Liverpool 8b 164
Jones Emma Gilchrist Liverpool 8b 164
Jones Florence E Grisdale Liverpool 8b 164

Jan

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 17 Jul 2009 17:33

Surname First name(s) Spouse District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Jun 1916 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bickerton Eva E Wells W. Derby 8b 791
Davies Harry E Jones W. Derby 8b 791 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Jones Lucy W Davies W. Derby 8b 791 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Wells Thomas J Bickerton W.Derby 8b 791

The other marriage in 1928 has a postem attatched stating that Lucy was born in 1907

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 17 Jul 2009 17:34

Jean, just to say, do you realise it is easy to look up a lot of this yourself? Try the freebmd site, great fun to play around and look for stuff.
Jan

Jean

Jean Report 17 Jul 2009 17:43

Thank you all so much,
Janet the 1928 marraige looks promising,
I haven's used freebmd as most of my relatives are from Scotland , but I will take a look now,

thank you
jean
Sorry Denise just noticed what you said about the d.o.b. for Lucy on the 1928 marraige so can's be her , have to go for the one in Derby i think.

jean

Jean

Jean Report 17 Jul 2009 18:01

Thank you Whitenancy,
Just found out that a lot of my Jones 's did come from West Derby, so the 1916 marraige looks a pretty good bet,

Thank you for the information
jean

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 17 Jul 2009 22:58

Mum had a Scottish friend Netta, short for Janette.

Margaret

AllanC

AllanC Report 18 Jul 2009 09:07

Just remembered that Chambers Dictionary (1998 edition, but probably later ones too) has an appendix of some first names.

This gives Netta, Netty & Nettie as diminutives of Annette, Antoinette, Janet and Jeanette. Flossie isn't listed separately but shown as one of the diminutives of Florence.

Jean

Jean Report 18 Jul 2009 10:09

Thank you MadMeg and AllanC,
Seems to be so many shortened versions for Netta, just trying to work out on my Jones side which sister it might be , I have a Mary , Lucy Winifred , Frances Annie and a Florence.

jean

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 18 Jul 2009 14:54

these 4 marriage are all shown in lancashirebmd.org.uk

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1919
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
JONES Florence FORESTER Frederick Anfield, St. Simon & St. Jude Liverpool 2003WD/3/19

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1924
JONES Florence SHAW Frederick West Derby, Register Office or Registrar Attended

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1929
JONES Florence SHEPARD Frederick S West Derby, Register Office or Registrar Attended

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1936
JONES Florence R BEARD Frederick G Kirkdale, St. Athanasius

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 18 Jul 2009 14:55

from the same source

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1916
JONES Lucy W DAVIES Harry E West Derby, Register Office or Registrar Attended

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1928
JONES Lucy W MERRIFIELD Frederick R Toxteth Park, St. Paul

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 18 Jul 2009 14:58

just a thought - do you know if the family were RC as 'Register Office or Registrar Attended' often means a marriage in a RC church

Jean

Jean Report 18 Jul 2009 20:48

Thank you Lancashireanne,
All I know from family stories is that Flossie married a Fred and Netta might have married an Atherton, but don't know if they were R.C.
thank you for replying, I think I will send off for the West Derby marraiges as that is where the familt were living at the time.

jean

LancsLass

LancsLass Report 18 Jul 2009 21:30

Netta could have been shortened from a middle name and been in daily usedbut wouldnt appear on the free bmd sites
Do yoy have the birth certs for the sisters?

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 19 Jul 2009 08:47

there is an Ellen and a Mary W who married an Atherton in W Derby plus a few others in Liverpool

Flossie may just have been a pet name. I think it is possibly fairly common in older Lancs people - my grandmother often called me Flossie when she was teasing me and as you can see my name is Ann!