Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Viewing 2 trees at the same time

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tracey

Tracey Report 22 Apr 2009 04:43

Ok, I am trying to open my tree and then the tree of a match at the same time so that I can compare notes and add etc.
For some reason I cant' do it, I can open their tree, copy information to the clipboard, but then I have to open my tree seperately to add the info I collect. This is very time consuming and I was wondering if it was my computer or the way the site is set up.
I hope someone can understand what I am trying to do.
Thanks
Tracey

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 22 Apr 2009 06:45

This is how I do it - works with both IE and Firefox browsers

1. Open your own tree by clicking on the button at the top. This opens a second window / tab.

2. Now the clever bit - Hold down the Ctrl Key and open your own tree again. The Ctrl key allows a third tab to open, rather than just over writing your existing tree in the second tab.

3. Open one of your trees and select the other members tree from the drop down list, top right.

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 22 Apr 2009 08:17

Tracey I hope your checking this other person's information, a fewof my family have been given the wrong parents then copied (several times)

Famagusta

Famagusta Report 22 Apr 2009 15:27

Have tried doing the CTRL bit but it doesn't work for me! Have my tree open, then with that same page on screen hold down CTRL key and select another tree that is viewable to me and nothing happens - what am I doing wrong? I use Mozilla Firefox

Tricia

redhotmama

redhotmama Report 22 Apr 2009 15:40

BrinsleyS

What a brilliant tip.Have just tried it and it works a treat.How much easier that makes things

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 22 Apr 2009 15:54

Tricia,

You can't do it that way for some reason. If you try to open another member's tree directly it doesn't work, as you have found.

Using Ctrl you have to open a second version of your own tree, from the main GR page. Then select the other members tree you want from the drop down list, which will then overwrite yours.

If you are brave you can open several more trees by repeating the process.

Famagusta

Famagusta Report 22 Apr 2009 16:13

Brinsley S

WOW!!! How brilliant is that! Many thanks for that tip, I have four trees open at this moment. You see if you know what you are doing everything works, I am growing brain cells by the hour!

Tricia

Thelma

Thelma Report 22 Apr 2009 16:16

Right click "family Tree"
Left click "open in new window"
Do it as many times as you want.

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 22 Apr 2009 16:58

Many many thanks - where were you when I needed you, with my earlier discoveries of matching trees! S--'s law - I suppose I shall never get access to anything but the odd one-off name again, but at least I know I shan't have to do the laborious copying out of details to be entered (never quite got the hang of using a clipboard either).

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 22 Apr 2009 18:02

Jim,

Holding Ctrl and click on "family tree" or any other tab for that matter, opens a new window automatically , but thanks for the alternative method for getting to the same point.

Christine

Christine Report 22 Apr 2009 21:49

I have to just say, BrinsleyS is a very clever man! he solved a very difficult problem for me recently, just when I was getting to screaming pitch. . Deserves much gratitude.

Tracey

Tracey Report 22 Apr 2009 23:14

Thank you all so much! It works! Oh how much easier this is going to make things!
Thank you all again, your briliant!
Trace

Caz

Caz Report 23 Apr 2009 02:00

Thank you BrinsleyS that's a brilliant tip. I didn't think we could view more than one tree at a time since GRs improvements and now we can. Thank you so much.

Caz

Pauline

Pauline Report 23 Apr 2009 15:59

I am relatively new to researching my family history and have found the Tips Board to be very helpful. I wondered how to open more than one tree and now I know its so simple and time saving. Thank You

Blue1

Blue1 Report 23 Apr 2009 20:25

Hi,
just tried your tip and it works
how brilliant!
Thanks for that
Blue

Kaz in a Tizz

Kaz in a Tizz Report 24 Apr 2009 00:50

Thanks BrinsleyS for the brilliant tip and thank you Tracey for asking!
I have been here yonks and never worked that one out *feel like a right numpty* (nothing unusual there then!!)

Thanks again

Kaz :o)))

DizzieLizzie

DizzieLizzie Report 5 Aug 2009 16:43

Hi All

Only just opened this thread off the controversial "my updates". Well I never knew that! But Brinsley what a mine of information I am finding you to be today. And with Jim's method we've got 2 options to try.

Becoming quite the computer whizz kid today. Not kid exactly - I am posting on the "The Change" board too, but I can dream of eternal youth if I like.

Thanks for making life easier.

Lizzie

DizzieLizzie

DizzieLizzie Report 5 Aug 2009 18:47

Hi Brinsley I wonder if you'll come back to this thread. Tried the hold down Ctrl trick but nothing happened. Do I have to do it at the same time as opening my tree the first time, or do I perhaps have to wait a little while. It's a bit academic because I tried Jim's option which worked nicely. But I'm just interested why your way wouldn't work for me.

Lizzie

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 5 Aug 2009 19:03

Lizzie I'll nudge another thread for you

Thelma

Thelma Report 5 Aug 2009 19:39

I have tried the control left click on "family Tree" and it opens tabs along the top.
I hate "tabs"