Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Register Office Marriages

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ezyka

Ezyka Report 3 Apr 2009 21:10

Where do they hold records for marriages that took place in registry offices?

Erica

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Apr 2009 21:26

They will be on the normal GRO indexes..If you want to order direct from the records office of the area they married in, you would need to know the Register Office and the date of marriage because the GRO ref is only for the General Records Office at Southport

Ezyka

Ezyka Report 3 Apr 2009 21:29

Has the entire index been put online? I've searched freebmd, ancestry and familysearch.org and haven't found it.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Apr 2009 21:34

online records only go up to 2005. later recordsare not going to released by the GRO

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Apr 2009 21:35

What year are you looking at ? do you want to give some names for a second pair of eyes!!

Ezyka

Ezyka Report 3 Apr 2009 21:42

I'm looking for Sidney George Mead(s) married to Mary Davis in around 1897. On the 1911 census it says they've been married for 14 years. The areas i'm guessing they were married are Paddington London (where he was born), Marylebone London (where she was born) and Kensington London (where they later lived).
I haven't yet searched the parish registers at the london metroplitan archives...but I didn't want to spend a whole day there only to find they were married in a registry office!!

Erica

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Apr 2009 22:00

theres certainly nothing listed ,have you found them on the 1901 census?

Ezyka

Ezyka Report 3 Apr 2009 22:10

No. I've only found him on the 1911 census and I have his death certificate. I've tried all kinds of name variations. Mary Davis i'm unsure of until I find the marriage record which should have her fathers name on it. I went to the london archives and searched all the baptism records for parishs in paddington. It took all day and I didn't frind a thing! I've hit a brickwall with this one. Any suggestions?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Apr 2009 22:13

i cant see them on the 1901 either ,did they have children if so have you got a birth cert which will give her name .I searched on both names with variations and with just using one christian name for the spouse in case Mary had been married before but still didnt find anything .

Ezyka

Ezyka Report 3 Apr 2009 22:22

Sidney George Mead(s) b1872,paddington. married Mary Davis b1872,marylebone. They had Lilly Mead b1898,paddington. Fredrick Mead b1901,kensington. Sidney Henry/Harry Mead (my grandfather) b1904,kensington. and Violet Mead b1909,kensington. I think Violet died very young. I only have my grandfathers birth cert. I haven't been able to find Lillie or Fredrick on the index. I think I've found Violet but I haven't ordered it yet. I've tried all kinds of searches. I've been looking for over a year now. It wasn't until the 1911 census came online that I managed to find them. Don't know what to try now!!

Heather

Heather Report 3 Apr 2009 23:29

Ah, you say you have grandads birth cert. Is that where you got Davis from? Maybe they never married? Maybe the two older kids were registered in another surname if she were married before or unmarried when they were born.

Have you found a birth for Sidney George Mead/s? I cant see a birth for him. I wonder if he used a different name.

Is this his death?

me: Sidney G Meads
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1874
Year of Registration: 1925
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
Age at Death: 51
District: Kensington
County: Greater London, London, Middlesex
Volume: 1a
Page: 213

Kate

Kate Report 4 Apr 2009 01:43

No chance Lily was really Ruby Ella?

Ruby Ella Meads Mar qtr 1898 Kensington 1a 168

Perhaps not - in 1901 Ruby's parents are William H and Alice J Meads.

I'm guessing this is Violet, though:

Violet May Meads Mar qtr 1908 Kensington 1a 113

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 4 Apr 2009 10:21

I think we sometimes forget that Free BMD is a "work in progress "and not yet complete

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 4 Apr 2009 11:24

For info ONLY...........1911

MEAD FREDRICK M 1901 10 Kensington London
MEAD HARRY M 1905 6 Kensington London
MEAD MARY F 1872 39 Kensington London
MEAD VIOLATE F 1908 3 Kensington London
MEAD LILLIE F 1898 13 Kensington London
MEAD SIDNEY M 1872 39 Kensington London

Their statement that they had been married for 14 years may be untrue...........

What was Sidney's occupation?

Ezyka

Ezyka Report 4 Apr 2009 11:32

Thanks for everyones help. I have the 1911 census and sidney g meads death cert. I think the only explantion to not finding him on any other censuses is he used a different name maybe?

Ezyka

Ezyka Report 4 Apr 2009 11:34

Sidney George Mead(s) was a carman and then later a stocker in electric works.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Apr 2009 12:47

Some of my family dont show on the 1901 census although we knew they were there!!. A cousin spent time trawling around the actual census pages and eventually found them in the area we knew they lived The page was very well written and clear so no reason why it didnt come up on any search engine
So I think some pages didnt get transcribed.I searched for them when the 1901 first came out and then recently on Ancestry and they still dont show.
It looks like your Sidney maybe didnt marry. not unknown for folks to live together and say they were married.

Kate

Kate Report 4 Apr 2009 14:14

Good thought, Ricochet and Shirley - if the eldest child was 13, they were bound to say they'd been married 14 years on the form. There must have been loads of people who claimed to be married who weren't - loads of puzzles to solve and maybe non-existent marriages to look for thanks to Victorians and Edwardians trying to look "respectable".

I found someone claiming to be married on all the census records between 1871 and 1901 lately - turns out they didn't actually get round to it till about 1887!

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 4 Apr 2009 16:45

I have one couple who stated in 1911 that they had been married for 7 years............their marriage cert is dated 1913!

Ezyka

Ezyka Report 4 Apr 2009 19:49

Sounds like another visit to the London archives for me then! I'll keep searching and hopefully one day i'll find something!! Thanks for everyones help.