Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Using birth certifcate to locate mother?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kirsty

Kirsty Report 12 Nov 2008 22:08

Hello again!

I have finally found my great Aunt's birth entry, complete with her mother's maiden name.

My Aunt is Irene Lillian Spooner, 1914, Birmingham, 6d 533, mother's name Johnson.

However I don't know where to go from there? Any ideas please?

Thank you :)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Nov 2008 22:16

Possible .................

look for a spooner/johnson marriage on www.freebmd.org.uk

was your great aunt the youngest/eldest??

I shoudl look initially for a marriage between about 1900 and 1925 (just in case they didn't marry until later!!)

sylvia

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 12 Nov 2008 22:25

If this person is your great aunt...........one of her siblings is your grandparent........the mother and father are your great-grandparents. What were their names?

Kirsty

Kirsty Report 12 Nov 2008 22:28

I don't know my great grandparents names and my grandparents are dead so I can't find out that way.

This great aunt was the youngest, by 9 years. I will search marriages now but I haven't quite got the hang of the free BMD yet :)

Thank you.

Tania

Tania Report 12 Nov 2008 22:30

u got nellie johnson wot married howard ernest spooner 1901 birmingham.....may farr johnson married charles edgar spooner in alcester 1903.........

Kirsty

Kirsty Report 12 Nov 2008 22:34

Ok so I have a Spooner marrying in 1901 but how do I know if that's the one?! there is no recording of the woman's name at that time. Is it just a case of ordering the certificate and hoping?!

Thanks! :)

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 12 Nov 2008 22:34

What was the name of the grandparent who was your aunt's sibling?

Kirsty

Kirsty Report 12 Nov 2008 22:35

Hi Tania!

How did you see the woman's name for George Ernest Spooner? That could quite possibly be the person I am looking for but how do I know?! Sorry if I am being a bit dim :)

Peter

Peter Report 12 Nov 2008 22:35

Kirsty,

The next thing is to order the certificate. Apart from giving you full names of the parents you will learn their address and occupation. If you don't get the certificate there is always a chance that you are barking up the wrong family tree.

Peter

Kirsty

Kirsty Report 12 Nov 2008 22:35

Edith, Howard and Hilda were my Great Aunt's siblings.

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 12 Nov 2008 22:37

You may have to look for an even earlier marriage for Spooner/ Johnson. My grandmother had a sibling 26 years older than her.

Also the marriage might not have been in Birmingham as people frequently moved to other parts for work.
As suggested by Ericthered if Lillian is your gt aunt then your grandmother/grandfather birth cert is the one to get.
If you want to go back further you need both parents names from the birth cert.
Then get your gt grandparents marriage cert which will have ages and both fathers names and occupations.

Only then can you find them on the 1901 census. You must have the proof or you could be researching the wrong family

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 12 Nov 2008 22:39

Is this Howard?

Births Mar 1911 (>99%)

Spooner Howard W Birmingham 6d 105

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 12 Nov 2008 22:40

And HIlda?

Births Jun 1905 (>99%)

Spooner Hilda Elsie Birmingham 6d 19

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 12 Nov 2008 22:42

And Edith?

Births Mar 1907 (>99%)

Spooner Edith May Birmingham 6d 99

You really need one of the birth certs to find out the names of the parents.............

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 12 Nov 2008 22:46

If Lillian was the youngest by 9 years then the birth found by Eric for a Howard in 1911 confuses even further.

Either there are 2 Spooner/Johnson marriages or this Howard didnt survive

Just another reason to get the birth cert

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 12 Nov 2008 22:48

We still dont know who you are descended from Hilda,Howard? or Edith

Kirsty

Kirsty Report 12 Nov 2008 22:50

Oh sorry, what I meant was there was a 9 year difference in between their first born (Hilda) and last born (Irene).

They are all correct Eric so I guess I will order one of their certificates and take it from there :)

Thanks!

Kirsty

Kirsty Report 12 Nov 2008 22:50

Edith :) My Nan.

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 13 Nov 2008 03:05

Order Ediths birth cert then because she is your nan

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 13 Nov 2008 03:34

Kirsty,

You have several other threads on more or less the same subject. You need to stick to just one thread otherwise people will duplicate efforts and that's no fun for people who do lookups.

I spent some time locating Edith's marriage cert. for you. That's what you need to buy first.

http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1102584

http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1101843

Rose