Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

this site has become a joke and,,,

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ed

Ed Report 17 Jun 2008 17:30

has lost the plot in pursuit of revenue and, I question the authenticity of many of the posts.

Ed

Clive & Susan

Clive & Susan Report 17 Jun 2008 17:43

Did you get out of bed on the wrong side, Ed?

Jane

Jane Report 17 Jun 2008 17:56

You need to explain what you mean Exactly.!

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 17 Jun 2008 18:01

Ed is a WUM - wind up merchant

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 17 Jun 2008 18:09

If it is not to your taste, then just delete yourself from the site altogether.

Here are the instructions:-

Click on the Help Centre Tab, than scroll down to the bottom and click on "Removing your details from the site" then follow the instructions.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 17 Jun 2008 18:43

Ed,

You are entitled your your opinion as anyone else is,,perhaps you are able to see more than others,?,

maybe tomorrow will be a better day for you,

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 17 Jun 2008 19:25

I'm not renewing etc etc...tsk long board name....don't blame you there are some on here who don't have opinions or views they just have facts but more than often cant back them up..

Heather

Heather Report 17 Jun 2008 21:22

I wish people wouldnt change their board names on here - twice on one thread is a bit much, isnt it.

Clive & Susan

Clive & Susan Report 17 Jun 2008 21:29

Unless you mean someone else's board name, I have only changed mine once ('twas Mystery Shopper), and that was for a joke, as my membership expires tomorrow. This may well be my last ever post - and good riddance I hear some of you say.

I have made contact with some really helpful and well informed people here over the last two years but the dross outweighs the benefits, in my personal view (but anyone is free to disagree with me), and I will be moving on to pastures new.

It's time to make some real progress with my one-name study - LOOK!: a NAME COLLECTOR! and there's nothing that would keep me here any longer...

Heather

Heather Report 17 Jun 2008 21:31

Good luck with your one name study.

Clive & Susan

Clive & Susan Report 17 Jun 2008 21:35

Thanks.

As a post-script, I think that GR would be a better place if we couldn't have board names; or if we have to have them, that we couldn't change them.

That's all from me.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 17 Jun 2008 21:38

5112039?

Huia

Huia Report 17 Jun 2008 21:43

Thats right Peter, INRMM aka Mystery Shopper.

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 17 Jun 2008 21:52

This site has always depended upon the membership to do any research and help each other. It has never been somewhere which has information of its own for research.

It is only ever going to be as good as the people who belong and they vary over time.

I have made more useful contacts via GR than any other site and helpful members have enabled me to research trees for other family members.

It's not expensive to belong to this site compared to so many other groups and sites.

It's not perfect but I don't think it's a joke.

Sue

William

William Report 17 Jun 2008 21:54

From someone who has never been afraid of showing their true name etc,I've never seen so many over sized egos in all my life.There is nothing wrong whatsoever with this Site,only some of the people on it!Seriously though,I have been a member for five years now,and have never seen fit to leave.With the help of this Site,I have gone from when I started not knowing the proper names of my four Grndparents,to builing my Tree to the extent of having nearly five thousand names.Obviously apart from people who have married into my Families,all bar about 30 close In-Law relations,all are directly related to me.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 17 Jun 2008 22:08

William, good on you.

I dropped my surname from here a year ago. ( a very unusual one as there are only ten of us in the entire UK.....!) Other than than what you see is what you get.

For me, anyway, I have found more contacts through GR than I could have ever dreamed, including 'cousins' in never knew existed.

English Bob

English Bob Report 17 Jun 2008 22:12

What comes around, goes around! LOL long time and still a member and worth it for just the occasional good thread... one search clue... and Mike from Leicester.

Best regards, Bob

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 17 Jun 2008 22:22

I also dropped my surname a while ago but that was because any googling of my name brings up various websites with me on them connected with my work.
That gives more information than I want to share with new contacts who are nothing to do with other parts of my life.

We don't always get on well on this site and there are always going to be differences of opinion and even heated debates. Sometimes we accidentally upset people because forums like this don't enable us to see any tone of voice. Sometimes comments can seem sharp or rude when they weren't meant to.

In the past things have sometimes got very unpleasant. I remember the boards being closed down for a while to allow some members to cool off.

Any of us who post regularly are going to find ourselves agreeing with certain people while finding some others always irritating. I'm never quite sure who belongs to which clique and if I see a major squabble brewing I try to back off and avoid that thread.

But I enjoy a nice meaty debate and I don't mind being controversial if the subject is suitable.

Sue

Amanda S

Amanda S Report 17 Jun 2008 22:33

I don't post that much these days as (sadly) I don't have as much time for family history as I used to. I'm hoping that will change again soon.

Where can you get the value for £10 that you do on GR?

For many people, this site has enabled them to make progress that would otherwise have been impossible.

It's a great shame that some members have gone, and it hasn't been the same since OC and others left last year, but I have checked out (and even joined) some of the sites others have moved to, and .... you know what? They don't come close!

The site is what its members make it.

There are some brilliant people on here.... and some sour grapes.

If people don't like it they are free to leave.

Amanda

William

William Report 17 Jun 2008 22:36

Yes Sue,I well remember the Boards being closed down that time!It could have been said that I was partly responsible but there we are!Whatever I have to say though,I am always proud to leave my name underneath!

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.