Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Non existent child

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue

Sue Report 11 May 2008 21:47

It doesn't matter how many times I have told people with hot matches to mine that there was only ONE child born to my aunt they insist on copying info that is wrong from other trees. As her son and I grew up together I know I am right.

This wrong info therefore perpetuates itself throughout these other trees.

Aaaargh...rant over

Sue

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 11 May 2008 22:12

My husbands aunt was highly amused when I told her that she had been dead for six years. well according to a GR tree she was. The problem is that this person had passed on the duff info to others

Linda

(Added as an edit). A name collector had copied info from my open tree, but had typed in her husbands death date by mistake. As he had no real connection to her, the mistake meant nothing to him. That is one of the reasons I never open my tree anymore. If there is a proven connection, I send a full report via email. Of course any one can make a typo when adding information.

maryjane-sue

maryjane-sue Report 11 May 2008 22:45

It also goes to show how important it is to verify any information taken from another tree, especially when some members on here deliberately put incorrect info on theirs.

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 11 May 2008 22:53

There are a number of people on here that have copied someone's tree that includes my 3XG Grandadwith all details incorrect including parents.

You would think that alarm bells would begin to ring when you see that one of his decendants died 17 years BEFORE she was born but still gave birth to 6 children!

Sue

Sue Report 11 May 2008 23:21

What is the point of tracing your tree if it is inaccurate?

I copy ancestors who may be related and then double check that they are on the right branch. I am desperately trying to get to the root (forgive the pun) of two branches of Lightfoots.

Mother was a Lightfoot who was brought up by another Lightfoot and I cannot find the relationship after 3 years of trying.

To cap that she was adopted by an Ostler and a rellie of his married another unrelated Lightfoot.

So I do have branches that float around off the main tree but it doesn't help when those are inaccurate.

Sometimes I despair of ever getting these branches attached to the tree.

Barbara

Barbara Report 12 May 2008 11:26

I'm still trying to find the link to someone on this site who apparently has 206 relatives in common with me! I've sent loads of messages but had only one reply. When I look at his tree most of the info seems to have been supplied by me as well! Very frustrating.

Ann

Ann Report 12 May 2008 14:31

I don't know how anybody can copy your tree off here, unless you have given permission for them to see your tree. The only people who have access to mine, are people, who I know are related, somewhere down the line to me. Just because they have the same surnames means nothing.

Ann

Brenda

Brenda Report 12 May 2008 20:22

I didnt think any one could interfere with your tree, even if you gave them permission to open it, Brenda Dewar

Sue

Sue Report 12 May 2008 21:20

Brenda

They haven't altered my tree but on other trees that hold branches they have information which is inaccurate. These inaccurate ones have been copied by other people including the wrong information.

If I take information from these other trees invariably there are inaccuracies relating to other people I am looking for. I end up going down quite a few blind alleys before I realise they have the wrong person placed in the branch.

Sue

Brenda

Brenda Report 12 May 2008 22:38

O.K. Sue, I see, thankyou. I missunder stood what Springfield wrote. I have found things on someone elses tree that I believe to be wrong or not relavent to my tree, it would be so easy just to take that info. blindly and not check it out.
I love these chatty sites I have enjoyed reading your comments Brenda

Barbara

Barbara Report 13 May 2008 16:52

Just got another message from GR about a possible match - you guessed it, same man. Now we appear to have 207 members in common. I wouldn't mind but he contacted me first!
Barbara

Sue

Sue Report 13 May 2008 17:25

Barbara,

lol, do you have any hair left? Mine is laying in clumps on the floor!

x

Sue

Sue Report 13 May 2008 19:00

Exactly Budgie, but you can only tell them so many times!

Barbara

Barbara Report 14 May 2008 18:54

Hi Sue
Still got the hair but it's a real disappointment when I think there's another branch and it turns out to be dead wood! Don't know about you but I love finding connections even the most distant so I'd be quite happy to share with a genuine link.
Cheers and hope you won't need a wig!
Barbara

Sandra

Sandra Report 14 May 2008 19:47

I wrote to one person who i knew was from the same family as mine going back to 1700's grt x 4 she married a man who it seems was a miner his family ended up being farmer's buying land ect.He insisted there was no connection because his ancester's had money and owned land is this snobbery or what,does it really matter from all those years and years ago,i think not.
Sandra.

Nial

Nial Report 14 May 2008 22:13

me and my mrs have been searching for our trees, its took me 2 weeks and hours sat at the computer to to get the few ive found and its the fun and satisfaction of achivement i get from it when i find them,my mrs emailed someone who had her mother on there tree and within 5 minites she had her tree back to 1770 ish i no its easier if someone sends it to you but its the satisfaction of doing it yourself that i like

Peter

Peter Report 14 May 2008 23:41

At the risk of opening up the tedious debate yet again whether or not to reveal one's tree I think that the best argument for openness is that it challenges these fanciful and erroneous trees. If we hug our accurate versions to ourselves then the loony ones will have free range.

Peter

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 14 May 2008 23:46

There are some really odd things on some online trees and sites.

Yesterday I spotted a relation mentioned on a website as born in Hungary.

What! I thought. Then I looked at the original census and it was Hun.

Pity the transcriber hadn't looked more closely and realised they were in Huntingdonshire.

Sue

SallyF

SallyF Report 15 May 2008 07:13

I finally bit the bullet and subscribed to Ancestry. It has been really helpful, but I have had to submit a lot of corrections there. Things like the name Harriet being misread and being on the Ancestry record as 'Harnet' and Beehive Yard being totally misread as 'Bechur Yard'. When I've looked at the original document you can actually read it c as it should be rather than their transcriber has read it. I don't know if it's sloppiness on their part or just bad eyesight, because to me it's as clear as day.

Barbara

Barbara Report 15 May 2008 13:45

I had a family of Hazlehursts wrongly transcribed as Churst so the head of the family was William Hey Churst. Luckily a kind person who looked for me spotted it so another bit of the jigsaw was fitted.
Barbara