Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

AVG 7.5 will no longer be free!!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 5 May 2008 05:04

Just had a message pop up that AVG 7.5 anti virus will no longer be free from the end of May. You will have to upgrade to the new version 8.0 which you will have to pay for.

Betty

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 5 May 2008 06:08

There is still a free version in the AVG 8.0 .

You can upgrade to a paying version but don't have to. The free one is basic protection as it has always been.

http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition

Christine

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 5 May 2008 12:55

Hi Christine,

Just came on the computer again so sorry for late reply, if you go into the website address you posted there are two differnt AVG anti virus programs there, both of which you now have to pay for.

Betty

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 5 May 2008 13:22

That message pops up everytime I get an auto update and is a bit confusing.

Howver, see this link
http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download?prd=afe

It opens a page where you have the option of downloading AVG Free 8.0. Presumably it is still free in that case?

A bit further down the page is a section explaining you can have the full featured version for free and you don't have to pay the usual price of £39.99.

BUT I do not understand what is meant by "TrialPay". It is in dollars therefore seems aimed at USA rather than UK customers. Quote: "Try or buy one offer from your preferred brands and get your favorite products—free. TrialPay uses money from the advertiser to buy your free product. It's that easy." Is it? Do you have to be American?

Has anyone already gone down this route who can give some insight into what is involved?

PaulaW

PaulaW Report 5 May 2008 13:31

nudge for reference

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 5 May 2008 13:43

Hi Tracey,

I notice that dowload is actually from CNET Download.com. when you click on it, is that safe??
I am so confused as on AVG website, one minute they tell you its a free dowload then a few days later in the small print it says you have to pay. Now we are being told the free 7.5 version will stop at the end of May, as you say I get the popup after I run my AVG7.5 version too.

Betty

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 5 May 2008 13:49

I'm assuming it is, as that link is from AVG's page.

On the same page you have the option of dowloading AVG's own servers which I'm trying now as the download was extremely slow from CNET. It was so slow I cancelled the download! It is much faster from AVG direct.

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 5 May 2008 14:04

On the link to the page that I gave there are 3 versions, one free and 2 which you have to pay for.

I downloaded it this morning, used cnet but it took 30 mins, the file size is 45mb.

It also has the anti spyware built in now.

Christine

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 5 May 2008 14:07

The download took me 4 minutes on AVG's own server link; CNET looked like it was going to take 37 minutes.

However, the 1st attempt at installation hasn't worked and I'm now trying to work out why. It doesn't appear to have automativally uninstalled version 7.5, which it indicated it would do.

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 5 May 2008 14:09

Hi Tracey,

"TrialPay" means I think that you get a trial before you have to buy it!!

Betty

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 5 May 2008 14:31

I now have AVG free 8.0 up and running. There was a nasty moment when security centre flashed up my machine had no antivirus program running.

Be warned that the AVG installation is NOT seamless as there is a vulnerable period where you have to immediately update the newly installed one. In other words don't be tempted to head straight off to surf the internet before checking that your antivirus is working and up to date!

Betty, I had assumed the same about TrialPay as that sounds like what it should be, but it isn't! If you Google TrialPay it shows it is a new scheme where if you buy something from one of their partners you can get certain pieces of software for free. Apparently you need only bid on an ebay item, you don't even need to win that item, in order to benefit from the offer. Sounds rather too good to be true. Me? I'm suspicious of all new things ;o) !!

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 5 May 2008 14:40

Hi Tracey,

Yes now you mention it someone posted a message recently saying they used this TrialPay and bought about £10 worth of printer ink which she could use anyway in her printer.

So anyway you used this one to download AVG did you?
http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download?prd=afe

Betty

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 5 May 2008 14:46

That was quick Tracey, I should have used that, think I did use their own site last time.

One new feature of the AVG is when you do a search on google it lets you know if the sites listed are safe just like McAfee site advisor does.

I have read of someone using the trialpay to get a free year of Zonealarm security suite just by buying some ink cartridges for £10 which she was going to buy anyway.

I'm always a bit suspicious of new things also.

Christine

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 5 May 2008 14:49

You can do it from that link Betty, just click on the one from AVG's own server if you want it to be quick.

Christine

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 5 May 2008 14:58

Hi Tracey,

Which one of these did you use then??

Our recommended AVG Free 8.0 download is brought to you by our partner CNET Download.com.

Download AVG Free 8.0

You can also download the new AVG Free 8.0 directly from our server.

Download AVG Free 8.0 (AVG server)

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 5 May 2008 15:13

Tracey said she did it from the AVG server and it was much quicker.

Christine

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 5 May 2008 15:29

Hi Tracey and Christine,

I just run it from AVG and it works ok so far, there is a minute or two when the new one tells you you don't have anti virus but thats just because it has delete the old one so the new version can take over.

Betty

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 5 May 2008 15:35

Yes mine is working fine too.

Christine

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 5 May 2008 15:36

Hi Christine,

Any idea how you update this new AVG??
Oh its ok found it now thanks anyway!!!

Betty

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 5 May 2008 16:14

Hi Rosalind,

I just have a feeling that AVG new free anti virus download will not be free for long, they just want everyone to download it then they will say they are going to charge for it.

Betty