Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New Way to Search Ancestry - Anyone Tried

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 26 Apr 2008 11:12

Just been messing with the new way to search on Ancestry, it seems a lot more easier and simple to do.

To get on it just click search in the information bar at the top, next to My Ancestry and it will take you to another page where you can either try it or go on a tour of exactly what the difference is and the new things you can do. You can go back to the old stye of searching just by clicking a button if you like.

It does say it will match up the information you put in with the information on your tree as soon as it realises who you are talking about, and input the rest automatically but I cant get this to work yet.

Still off to try and find some more stuff, there are searches I didnt even know were there.

Marilyn x

Patricia

Patricia Report 26 Apr 2008 18:45

Thanks for that, Marilyn. I'll give it a go.

Patricia

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 26 Apr 2008 19:16

I tried too, but same old page is all I get lol.
Seems some people have been selected for the trial and others haven't.

*sits on floor with arms folded and pouty lips* ..............then hears a familiar little voice in her head..'if the wind changes your face will stay like that

Treetective

Treetective Report 26 Apr 2008 19:40

You could try this link:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/preview.aspx

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 26 Apr 2008 20:05

Well, I tried, and got ..............................

We’re Sorry
We can’t find your name in our list of people invited to test the new Ancestry search preview site.

TUT!!

Mowerman

Mowerman Report 26 Apr 2008 20:34

If you log on as normal at the top of the home page there is a search button click on this and over too the right there it says new search preview and an arrow saying try it.

Frank

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 26 Apr 2008 22:25

I think you can only see that button if you have received an invitation to preview and trial.
I can't see it, but it does say to keep checking back as the preview will soon be available to everyone.

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 26 Apr 2008 22:45

Well I found it and tried it but the page is too big for comfortable reading, It means a lot of juggling from side to side to read it all. I suppose nobody likes change, but it needs a little refining.

maryjane-sue

maryjane-sue Report 26 Apr 2008 22:58

I wonder if this new search thingie is the reason so many people are having problems viewing images and finding BDMs

Libby

Libby Report 27 Apr 2008 14:13

Didn't have the option to try the new search yesterday but I have today!!

Have given it a go but it seems to be slower loading pages than the old way. No new info forthcoming either.

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 27 Apr 2008 14:58

I would sooner have this way myself, but not sure if it is just a trial or not, says preview somewhere and asks for your feedback on the new way of searching, which I have done. Been on there all afternoon and have found it a lot easier, you can put children and siblings in the search facility too so it narrows it down even more.

Maybe it is the case that some have been chosen to try it and others havent, dont think this is fair though, you would think they would want everyone to try it. Perhaps we will all be able to have a go eventually.

Marilyn

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 27 Apr 2008 18:30

My attempts to log on to the new search pages a couple of times yesterday and being told I had not got an invitation seem to have paid off lol.

Today I suddenly got access!
Have only tried one search - no new info but I was impressed with the way the results were displayed.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Apr 2008 23:48

someone had a thread about this about a week ago ............................ I was like Lyndi. Couldn't find the test search try as I might.

Some people on that thread were not impressed with the new search as I remember.

However, I see that I do now have the New Search Preview Button!!

sylvia

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 28 Apr 2008 00:39

Well I managed to get into it but wasnt very happy ,,,I have a privatre tree on there but when doing the search on the new way loads of my family pics are coming up, I dont think that fair ;;
Im bit disgusted at that ;;

Babs

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 28 Apr 2008 00:59

What information bar? Have I got one?

Meg

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 28 Apr 2008 01:10

I think only you can see you own piks on private, get someone else to view it.

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 28 Apr 2008 10:50

Oh never thought of that ,,,
can someone tryThomas Stroyd b 1858 Dudley for me on the new one and see if anything comes up ;;thanks

Babs

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 28 Apr 2008 11:45

Ancestry
I want to scream !!!!!

That new search facility has appeared this morning and I can not view a single image

Maureen

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 28 Apr 2008 11:49

Oh dear m you can tick something to go back to the old way of searching ;;;

Babs

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 28 Apr 2008 11:52

Babs,

The problem started before I tried the new search facility.

Had no problems last night when I did not have the new search facility.

Oh well it will sort it self out.

Maureen