Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1881 Scotland Census Look Ups Available

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ellen

Ellen Report 6 Feb 2005 20:26

I've got an hour spare and fed up with my elusive lot, so happy to do any look ups on 1881 Scotland census. Please give me as much info as possible. NB: if you post request later on tonight, I won't be around the boards for a couple of days as away on business, so be patient, I will get back to you. Regards Ellen.

Ellen

Ellen Report 6 Feb 2005 21:25

Only John and Catherine Orr together in Paisley: Dwelling: 42 Gt Hamilton St Census Place: Abbey, Renfrew, Scotland Source: FHL Film 0203585 GRO Ref Volume 573 EnumDist 100 Page 15 Marr Age Sex Birthplace John ORR M 21 M Paisley, Renfrew, Scotland Rel: Head Occ: General Labourer Catherine ORR M 22 F Tyree, Argyll, Scotland Rel: Wife Archibald ORR 5 M Paisley, Renfrew, Scotland Rel: Son Occ: Scholar George ORR 2 M Paisley, Renfrew, Scotland Struggling with Samuel and Agnes. Can you give me some ballpark idea of their ages or where they might have been born. There's a Samuel Reid with wife Annie and two boys 3 and 1yrs. Let me know if you have any further info on them and I can do a better search. cheers Ellen.

Ellen

Ellen Report 6 Feb 2005 21:58

Can't find a Samuel and Agnes together in Old Monklands. Here's the Samuel and Annie one, plus there's this Samuel Reid, Married, but with his parents and siblings on the night of the census with no wife and kids - could this be him? Dwelling: 7 Quarry Row Census Place: Old Monkland, Lanark, Scotland Source: FHL Film 0203698 GRO Ref Volume 652-1 EnumDist 5 Page 15 Marr Age Sex Birthplace Samuel REID M 24 M Tyrone Co, Ireland Rel: Head Occ: Railway Lab Annie E. REID M 26 F Tyrone Co, Ireland Rel: Wife Joseph REID 3 M Rutherglen, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Son William REID 1 M Rutherglen, Lanark, Scotland Dwelling: 41 Dunn St Census Place: Barony, Lanark, Scotland Source: FHL Film 0203629 GRO Ref Volume 644-1 EnumDist 21 Page 3 Marr Age Sex Birthplace John REID M 49 M Ayr, Ayr, Scotland Rel: Head Occ: Cotton Weaver Janet REID M 48 F Ayr, Ayr, Scotland Rel: Wife Janet REID U 22 F Ayr, Ayr, Scotland Rel: Daur James REID U 21 M Ayr, Ayr, Scotland Rel: Son Occ: Wood Turner Adam REID U 20 M Ayr, Ayr, Scotland Rel: Son Occ: Silk Weaver John REID U 18 M Ayr, Ayr, Scotland Rel: Son Occ: Sewing Machine Mechanic William CHRISTIE (REID) 2 M Ayr, Ayr, Scotland Rel: Adopted Son Samuel REID M 21 M Ayr, Ayr, Scotland Rel: Visitor Occ: Iron Moulder Mary CHRISTIE 13 F Ayr, Ayr, Scotland Hope this helps. Good Luck Ellen.

Ellen

Ellen Report 8 Feb 2005 21:09

Hi Janice John & Helen Stewart - none at Boyndie. Banffshire, several couples - would help if I had a ballpark idea of ages. I'm assuming you are looking for man and wife. Any of these perhaps? If any fit I'll get the rest of the family and details for you. John/Helen Stewart ages 77/81 @ Gamrie John/Helen Stewart ages 62/59 @ Keith John/Helen Stuart ages 62/55 @ Rathven John P and Helen F Stuart ages 48/34 @ Mortlach. Struggling with Alexander and Elizabeth. some idea of ages/birthplaces would help a better search. Only 2 x Robert Petries in Elgin or Moray. 1 aged 25 one aged 26. If you can give me any more info on any of them I'll look further for you. Cheers Ellen.

Marcia

Marcia Report 10 Feb 2005 13:19

Hi Ellen Do you have any information on James Jardine married to Jean Allan (Allen) possibly living at 49 West Thornlie Street, Wishaw? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Marcia

Zoe

Zoe Report 10 Feb 2005 13:23

Ellen Is it searchable by address? If so could you look up 151 Quarry Street, Hamilton for me, please - I'm interested in all teh families in there as we're trying to put together a history of our tenement. If its only searchable by name its a few doors along from teh Royal Hotel which was being run by Daniel Smith in 1894. Fingers crossed Zoe

Loops

Loops Report 10 Feb 2005 14:05

I hope you are still available for look ups I'm trying to trace an Ann Williamson born Sept 1875 in the stirling area. She was married to a William Braes of Linlithgow bridge in 1890

Ellen

Ellen Report 10 Feb 2005 14:09

Hi Zoe and Marcia Not good news for either of you at this stage I'm afraid. Zoe, its searchable by name, but once have the name can get neighbours all round about. But no trace of Daniel Smith in 1881. If you get hold of any other names for round about in the course of your research I'm happy to look them up. Marcia - I need a bit more to go on if possible. Am I looking for 21 yr olds or 81 yr olds? Any idea where they were born? There are no James/Jean Jardines living in Wishaw on 1881, but if you can give me some more info I can find out where they are for you. Cheers Ellen.

Ellen

Ellen Report 10 Feb 2005 14:15

Loops Just swapping over CDs. No sign in Stirlingshire. NB - are you sure she was married at age 15??? Back in a mo. Ellen

Ellen

Ellen Report 10 Feb 2005 14:19

Loops Only possible I can see: Dwelling: Linlithgow Bridge Village Census Place: Linlithgow, Linlithgow, Scotland Source: FHL Film 0203708 GRO Ref Volume 668 EnumDist 11 Page 10 Marr Age Sex Birthplace William WILLIAMSON M 37 M Torwood, Stirling, Scotland Rel: Head Occ: Carter Marion WILLIAMSON M 35 F Linlithgow, Linlithgow, Scotland Rel: Wife Thomas WILLIAMSON 10 M Muiravonside, Stirling, Scotland Rel: Son Occ: Scholar Janet WILLIAMSON 9 F Muiravonside, Stirling, Scotland Rel: Dau Occ: Scholar Andrew WILLIAMSON 7 M Carriden, Linlithgow, Scotland Rel: Son Occ: Scholar Ann WILLIAMSON 5 F Carriden, Linlithgow, Scotland Rel: Dau Occ: Scholar Marion WILLIAMSON 3 F Boness, Linlithgow, Scotland Rel: Dau Helen WILLIAMSON 1 F Boness, Linlithgow, Scotland Rel: Dau Wilemina WILLIAMSON 7 m F Linlithgow, Linlithgow, Scotland If you have any further info, let me know and I'll look again. Cheers Ellen.

Ellen

Ellen Report 10 Feb 2005 14:26

Loops Me again You've got me interested now! Was the 1890 marraige in England? I can't find it on Scotlandspeople for 1890 to 1900. Ellen.

Gosport

Gosport Report 10 Feb 2005 19:32

Hi Ellen, Could you please look for William and Agnes Chippington living in Lanark. Regards Cherryl

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 10 Feb 2005 19:51

Hello Ellen. Is it possable to find Edwin Logan Rich And Marion Tervit when they gor married they lived I believed in Carrenshore Falkirk or any information. Vanessa

Ellen

Ellen Report 10 Feb 2005 20:07

Vaness/Cherryl No trace of yours I'm afraid. It would really help if I had some idea of ages, even just a ballpark figure. Also if you know general birth area. Regards Ellen. Vanessa - Look further down - I have some info for you.

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 10 Feb 2005 21:42

Hello there Ellan, when you get the chance and if it's not too much bother, will you please look for John kirkwood 54 born Borony, wife Margaret 58,Elizabeth 18. Elizabeth was born Bridgeton, They may have been in Dalserf area in 1881. Dont spend too much time on it, as I know it's not a lot to go on. Thank's again Marion

Ellen

Ellen Report 10 Feb 2005 21:46

Hi Miriam Got him mistranscribed as Gouch: Dwelling: 38 Main St Census Place: Bathgate, Linlithgow, Scotland Source: FHL Film 0203706 GRO Ref Volume 662-2 EnumDist 1 Page 6 Marr Age Sex Birthplace Isaac GOUCH M 30 M England Rel: Head Occ: Coke Burner Emma GOUCH M 30 F England Rel: Wife Mary GOUCH 8 F Wales Rel: Daur Occ: Scholar Elizabeth GOUCH 4 F Armadale, Linlithgow, Scotland Rel: Daur Occ: Scholar Emma GOUCH 1 F Armadale, Linlithgow, Scotland Rel: Daur Worthy FRY U 21 M England And Emily as Emma! Cheers Ellen.

Ellen

Ellen Report 10 Feb 2005 21:58

Hi Marion Two possibles for Margaret: Either John was not at home - or was he deceased by then? Dwelling: Red Row Census Place: Dalserf, Lanark, Scotland Source: FHL Film 0203625 GRO Ref Volume 638-2 EnumDist 2 Page 51 Marr Age Sex Birthplace Margaret KIRKWOOD M 58 F Maybole, Ayr, Scotland Rel: Head Andrew KIRKWOOD U 20 M Bailiston, Lanark, Scotland Dwelling: 362 St Vincent St Census Place: Barony, Lanark, Scotland Source: FHL Film 0203662 GRO Ref Volume 644-9 EnumDist 40 Page 11 Marr Age Sex Birthplace Margaret KIRKWOOD W 58 F Inchinnan, Renfrew, Scotland Rel: Head John KIRKWOOD U 34 M Houston, Renfrew, Scotland Rel: Son Occ: Student & Apprentice At Law Mary NAISMITH U 17 F Cambusnathan, Lanark, Scotland There is a possible for Elizabeth working away from home in service, but gives birthplace as Parkhead. Close enough to Bridgeton to be her? Dwelling: 15 Preston St Census Place: Barony, Lanark, Scotland Source: FHL Film 0203631 GRO Ref Volume 644-1 EnumDist 75 Page 15 Marr Age Sex Birthplace Robert DAVIDSON M 56 M East Kilbride, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Head Occ: Wright Janet DAVIDSON M 49 F East Kilbride, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Wife Andrew DAVIDSON U 22 M Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Son Occ: Wright Martha DAVIDSON U 16 F Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Daur Occ: Attends To House Agnes DAVIDSON 10 F Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Daur Occ: Scholar Alexander DAVIDSON 5 M Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Son Elizabeth KIRKWOOD U 19 F Parkhead, Lanark, Scotland Struggling with John. Will look again. Regards Ellen.

Miriam

Miriam Report 10 Feb 2005 22:38

Thank you very much You have solved a family problem that has been there for 3 years. Yours miriam abbott

Ellen

Ellen Report 10 Feb 2005 22:49

Vanessa These two families are a bit bonkers in terms of ages for the Edwin & Marion to be married, but it seems too much of a coincidence when both names are pretty unusual in Scotland. They are just along the road from each other. Maybe the other names/ages make sense to you! Dwelling: 208 Main Street Census Place: Cambusnethan, Lanark, Scotland Source: FHL Film 0203621 GRO Ref Volume 628 EnumDist 17 Page 28 Marr Age Sex Birthplace Edwin RICH M 52 M England Rel: Head Occ: Billposter Anne RICH M 56 F England Rel: Wife Ferdinand RICH U 25 M England Dwelling: 49 Main Street Census Place: Cambusnethan, Lanark, Scotland Source: FHL Film 0203620 GRO Ref Volume 628 EnumDist 5 Page 21 Marr Age Sex Birthplace James TERVIT M 36 M Lanark, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Head Occ: Hammerman (At Smithy) Agnes TERVIT M 30 F Lanark, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Wife Marion TERVIT 2 F Lanark, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Daur Alexander TERVIT 10 m M Cambusnethan, Lanark, Scotland Regards Ellen.

Gordon

Gordon Report 10 Feb 2005 23:36

Hello Ellen, I've probably missed you tonight, but there's no panic anyway for these. Just three rellies I'd like to find in the Scottish 1881 - all from the same village of Walkerburn in Peeblesshire. Newly married James Davidson 22 and wife Mary 26; James's brother Walter Davidson 26; and their cousin Robert Turner and wife Margaret 29. Thanks so much, Gordon.