Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Connecting trees together

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

James

James Report 1 Feb 2012 16:31

Hi,

Maybe Genes Reunited does this already and I'm just not getting it.

It seems to me that 'hot matches" find people who have overlapping trees and who might be related to each other. I can get permission to view their tree, but what I really want to do is "connect" them into my tree rather than duplicate all the work they've done and vice versa. That way I'd be able to browse around the whole tree without worrying about who added what. Over time a huge tree would build up which seems pretty interesting to me.

Is this not possible?

James

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Feb 2012 19:21

OH MY

James

many people would disagree with you

How on earth do you know that the other person has got accurate information?

How do you know that they have been thorough in their work?

How do you know that they have not just copied their tree from another person ........ and how do you know that that other person had/has accurate information?

Copying a tree in its entirety, or even one person from a tree, without double checking, or even triple checking, everything, is quite possibly the worse thing you can do.

Many people will tell you of doing just such a thing .......... and being led down completely the wrong path. Then having to re-do all the work weeks, months or years later.

You should ALWAYS take anyone else's tree as advisement .......... and check every single detail before adding that information to your tree.

I can tell you from personal experience that there is a tree out there, one that has been copied an unknown number of times (perhaps thousands)

............. a tree that was posted on a One Name Study

............ a tree that was put onto a CD and distributed at a world-wide convention of the name

.............. a tree that has managed to "lose" my father, and has my brother as MY father! The fact that "brother/father" has a birth date almost 30 years later than my mother apparently went unnoticed by anyone for years, UNTIL I got hold of the CD

THAT tree that was done by my own second cousin who allegedly had years of experience, who at least knew of my father (they did live in another part of the UK), and who had contact with my brother at some point.

I have done my very best to correct it....... with little success, because I literally have no idea how far it has been distributed!

I also know that other parts of that same tree are wrong!

Collecting numbers of relations is NOT why most of us are into genealogy!

sylvia

in the event hast this is one huge joke ............. be aware that some people do like collecting huge numbers ............... there are trees on here, so I believe, that have 30,000 or 50,000 names.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 1 Feb 2012 21:30

Going to agree with everything that Sylvia has said.

I started with info given to me by a relative and did a lot of follow on research based on that information.

Then I started to get certs to make sure my tree was correct. My relative had followed the wrong line back in the 1840's to the Isle of Wight.

If my relative had got it wrong how can you ensure that info on other trees is correct.

David

David Report 28 Feb 2012 01:35

I found a tree where the father was born about a century after his son!

I've tried a few free websites, and they all have their uses, but GR seems to be the best one for copying multiple profiles at once. I tend to just do a small group, say a generation of siblings, because I get confused easily in my dotage!

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 28 Feb 2012 02:31

no argument from me. I've seen trees on this site with ancestors going back to 800 ! Maybe so, but ............ ?

I do have a huge tree, but it's not just my lot, my husband's family is on there too. The GR tree is my small one, many more on a private listing.

Be very careful with submissions on LDS. I've found some real doozies there. For example, submitters assume a spouse was born in the same place, which isn't always the case. I know, because I related to the other one!

I made contact with one person who argued with me as to my ggg granny's name; I should know her name, I was named for her!

Death records aren't always correct. My uncle was the informant of his mother's death. He gave the wrong address, which amazes me, as he was living with her.

Barbara

Barbara Report 29 Feb 2012 12:03

I am not very happy with GR after having so many happy years
using it i was told that i have only been using GR since 2008, i did change my email address in that year.
I think i now need a Guide book on how to use this new Genes Reunited. :-)