Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

family bible

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alison

Alison Report 5 Jun 2003 21:48

One of my ancestors John Deakin is supposed to have married Sarah Lamb in All Saints Parish Church in Dilhorne Staffs in 1862 according to our family bible.The trouble is I cant find any record to substatiate this. I have found a birth record for Sarah Lamb one for John Deakin and an entry on the 1881 census where they are listed with there 5 children, the birth places match and they are recorded as married but there is no record of them in the Parish register or the BMD. I have checked through the fiche at the local archive why would the marriage be in the bible if it didnt happen? They have put illigitemate children in so they werent bothered about propriety.Has any one got any ideas what I can do next I want to verify if they were really married

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Jun 2003 22:08

Hi Alison, Did you apply for their Marriage Certificate at the PRO? In 1862 there should be a record. One problem with Parish Registers, especially in the early days is that they were not always written up at the time like the Registration at a modern wedding. Sometimes the Clerk would just make a note on a piece of paper and transfer it to the Register maybe days later. Of course the piece of paper could have been lost and the Clerk had to rely on his memory. This is where some strange Surnames appear, and where some Ancestors disappear. This could make your Family Bible the primary source. All the best with your research, Jim, Gosport.

Alison

Alison Report 5 Jun 2003 22:27

Thanks James but I already tried this there is no record at the pro they just sent me a letter stating that they could not find the record they also cant find Johns birth cert even though I have the the ref no. and the exact date that he was born. the bible only has his name and one of his sisters as it was printed in 1836 two years before he was born his parents didnt put their names in it. Its been great for the rest of the family. Im a bit fed up with the records office at the moment as they keep sending me cheques back minus £4 for searches when Ive given them all the correct info and when I resubmit the same info I get certificates!!!! I keep hitting so many brick walls I think I need a battering ram:)

Lynne

Lynne Report 6 Jun 2003 13:16

Alison If I were you I'd make a complaint about them charging £4 for a search, especially as they later send the certificate using the exact same information. Lynne Sale

Alison

Alison Report 7 Jun 2003 11:29

Ive now found him:) Jessica had a query if john was some times entered as Joseph and it got me thinking so I tried Joseph came back that he married Sarah Lum not Lamb I had tried various spellings of Lamb but had not thought of this and she was christened at the same church!!! I have complained to Southport its them I am having most trouble with its cost me £28 as yet for my relatives down south.Went to my local registrars yesterday and they gave me Johns marriage cert then and there and apologised even though it wasnt their fault they couldnt find it in the first place.