Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Distant Relations

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sally-Anne

Sally-Anne Report 7 Jun 2003 12:00

Hi there! I wonder whether someone could post the web address for me of the site that shows you what relation people are to you. I have seen it in the tips board before, but didn't save it to my favourites and now I can't find it again! Thanks Sally, Coventry

Natalie

Natalie Report 7 Jun 2003 12:28

Hi Sally, This is one that I've found. Hope this is what you meant! (http://genealogy.about. com/library/nrelationshipchart.htm) Natalie Surrey (delete the space between the '.' & 'com' it wouldn't let me add the web address otherwise!)

mab

mab Report 7 Jun 2003 13:20

Another one with a different format is at http://members.tripod. com/Phil_N_S/Rc.htm (space inserted before 'com' again)

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Jun 2003 13:33

If you are running Family Tree Maker, there is an option to show a Kinship report.

Rosi

Rosi Report 7 Jun 2003 13:49

There is quite a pretty (!) one on www.heirsearch(.)com/table(.)htm Others on site too I seem to remember - same info but different format. Happy Hunting, Rosi

Patricia

Patricia Report 7 Jun 2003 18:05

A friend passed on her method of calculating relationships & assures me it is easier to do than to read. Take Person A and Person B and find the common ancestor. You need to know this exactly to work out the relationship. Work out which of A and B are closest in generations to the common ancestor. eg, say the common ancestor is your great grandfather and the other person's 3 times great grandfather. You are closest as you have fewer "greats". Taking the person who is closest to the common ancester, add one to the number of "greats" (or just call it one if there are no greats). So for you, there is one great. 1 + 1 = 2 so you are second cousins. Now subtract your number of greats from the other person's greats, to work out how many generations you & the other person are apart. In the case in the example, 3-1=2, so you are 2 generations apart, which means you are twice removed. Second cousins, twice removed. Hope that makes sense. Pat, Frome, Somerset

Sally-Anne

Sally-Anne Report 7 Jun 2003 21:37

Thanks you for all your replies! I have copied down (and saved!) all of he websites, and printed out the mathematical one (which is brilliant)! I have just made a contact in America with a living relly - my ggggg grandad was her ggg grandad. If I have worked the calulation right - would we be 4th cousins twice removed? Sally, Coventry

Patricia

Patricia Report 8 Jun 2003 11:49

Sally-Anne Yes, that looks right. That is great news that you have found a cousin. Hope you have lots of fun catching up. Pat

Tracey

Tracey Report 8 Jun 2003 21:18

HELP HOW DO YOU DO THIS ..I MUST BE A TWIT....TRACEY

Patricia

Patricia Report 9 Jun 2003 18:53

Tracey You are only a twit if you are in a Roald Dahl book, & I'm sure you aren't. Let me have the relevant information & I'll see what I can do. regards Pat