Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Occupation - Callenderer

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 8 Jun 2003 06:33

Whilst trawling the 1841 census on Friday in my local library I came across the occupation "callenderer", it appeared more than once. Does anyone have any ideas - I can't find it in a dictionary. Jane

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Jun 2003 08:02

I found the following on the scottishpeople.gov.uk site which has loads of details on the many occuaptions from the past - Calenderer - passed cloth through heavy rollers to give a smooth, pressed finish to the woven fabric. I believe that is still a term currently used in the textile industry.Hope this help.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 8 Jun 2003 08:16

Calenderer:Textile industry worker. Calender: a hot press with roller,used to make cloth,etc. smooth and glossy;also a person who calenders;a calenderer. Hope this helps, Liz lake (nee Waterhouse)

Jane

Jane Report 8 Jun 2003 08:38

Liz and Margaret Thank you so much for that - perhaps if I had spelt in properly in the first place I would have been able to find it in a dictionary! But, to be fair, it was spelt that way on the census! Jane