Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Disappearing Relatives

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Jun 2003 15:06

I have 2 relatives who seem to have 'disappeared' after the 1881 census. I have tried all the usual stuff, ie. LDS, freeBMD, 1837 online and ancestry.com - but no luck. Any brainwaves out there??

Katie

Katie Report 8 Jun 2003 15:15

I had the same problem. My great great grandfather was definatley alive in 1881 (he married in 1889 and had a son in 1898!) But he is not on the 1881 census at all. Also, my great great great grandfather was a Ships Corporal but he is not on there either. I think you just need to check the 1891 and 1901 censuses - that's where my relatives re-appeared. Good Luck, -Kate

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Jun 2003 17:03

I shouldn't worry too much about where they were on a particular night. People slip through the net every time. It is a nuisance when you don't find the other info from the Census though. Still, I hope you find them, Jim, Gosport.

Alison

Alison Report 8 Jun 2003 20:22

I had lots of dissapearing relatives, turns out some were in Scotland, In the army or abroad on buisness at the time the census was taken. I found some on the Scotish census and have been looking up army records(this takes forever especially waiting for thr PRO to send them) one was in service and they had spelled his name wrong I only realised as his wife was on there under her maiden name and this must have been where they met.Some times the most unlikely things make a connection for you.

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 8 Jun 2003 22:27

Don't forget we had the Boar War in the late 1800's, 2 of mine disappeared for a couple of years due to that war, but reappeared on the 1901 census

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Jun 2003 14:11

Thanks to all who have taken trouble to reply; have actually found one since my last posting. Looked on marriages and found that at 65 one female rel. had remarried. I am not being 'age-ist', just never thought of that till now.