Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah

Sarah Report 9 Jun 2003 12:51

I am new to this geneology thing - can anyone tell me what info I can find out online. I have found the 1901 and 1881 census, how can I go back further (if I can) on-line? Also I am desperate to trace my late grandmothers family but have very little to go on, any idea's?

Susan

Susan Report 9 Jun 2003 14:41

If you are searching in England and Wales a great site is FreeBMD. You can search the civil registration index for births, marriages and deaths from 1837. not all the records are online yet but keep checking as they are continually updating. I have just found my great gran and grandfathers marriage....and all the information I had was their names and where they got married. Another good site for links is cyndislist. Good luck!!

Annie

Annie Report 10 Jun 2003 12:48

Hi Sarah I've tried to do as much as I can on line and free! There's so much stuff out there that if you type combinations of names and/or locations into something like Google you might strike lucky. In my case I found a school website with some archives mentioning my family name, contacted the woman who posted them and we are rapidly becoming friends. Also found extracts from 1851 census for a village in Devon where my ancestors lived. Contacted the man who posted it and got a whole stack of stuff. My advice, be a bit cheeky and grovel a lot! Oh I almost forgot, also found a website for my great grandfather's surname of Dulley and have got about 500 names back to 1700s - and NetMet some very distant 'cousins' into the bargain Good luck Ann