Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I find brothers and sisters?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrea

Andrea Report 11 Jun 2003 12:49

How do I find out if siblings exist? I knew about "Ben" and I sent off for his birth certificate and I now know about his parents, but I want to know if Ben has brothers and sisters - how do I do this? Any clues? Also, can anyone help with the legal age for marriage and having children? Has it always been the same as it is today - marriage without parental consent at 18 and legal sex at 16? (is that right - please don't hang me if it is wrong!!!) I am hoping this may help me to work out when people got married and how old they would be roughly to have kids etc. All help gratefully accepted (and desperately needed!!)

April

April Report 11 Jun 2003 13:03

Andrea, The age of consent up to 1920 was 11 for a boy and 13 for a girl , see a couple of threads on the guest book, April

Lynne

Lynne Report 11 Jun 2003 13:08

Andrea Re: Ben's siblings. It depends when Ben was born. If it was before 1901 try the 1901 census for the rest of his family. Lynne Sale

Maxine

Maxine Report 11 Jun 2003 13:10

Hi Andrea I have found from my searches that many of my relatives married around the age of 20. I think (and I'm sure there will now be hundreds of people who come with examples to prove I'm wrong!)that the normal age to marry would be 18- 25(obviously there are always exceptions), and I think people marrying under the age of 18 seems to be more unusual. Have you tried doing a parent search on the Latter Day Saints site? If you go to the IGI page and just enter the Fathers name and mothers forename, and just the country, it will then list any known children ,you may get a result. It has worked for me on many occasions. Good luck!

Andrea

Andrea Report 11 Jun 2003 13:56

Thanks for your help everyone! I have tried the Latter Day Saints site, but come up with zilch. Maybe I am doing something wrong. Exactly what information and from what time span does this site have? When I try to find this information, all I can find out is about the faith or whatever it is they do. Please help as it appears that other people get loads of info from this site aswell. I am sure it is a gold mine - but it won't work for me!

Andrea

Andrea Report 11 Jun 2003 19:07

Thanks everyone. Unfortunatley it would appear that I haven't got back far enough yet for most of the sites that would help, so I guess I will have to buy a few more birth and marriage certificates! I feel a mere novice with some of you lot because I have only got as far back as 1902 so far and you wouldn't believe how long it has taken me to get this far!!! Oh well, no point in quitting now.... is there?

Sally-Anne

Sally-Anne Report 11 Jun 2003 23:01

Andrea Believe me I have been there! Once you can get back to 1901 then life becomes much easier! Once you can access that census you should get enough info to get back to the 1891 and 1881 census's. Before you know it you will have gone back a couple more generations! Keep persevering! Sally, Coventry