Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Different mothers in same family

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 18 Jun 2003 10:05

My Grandfather Stanley Hobbs last of 11 children was born in Hasland, Derbyshire in 1903 the only child born here - all the other siblings were London born. I have birth certificates of some of the other siblings but the mothers name on these differs from the mothers name on my grandfathers certificate.Siblings mother Emma Langsford - Stanleys mother Emma Blanksby> I have Emma Hobbs' death certificate but is she nee Langsford or nee Blanksby? I did think perhaps Emma Langsford may have died and the father (Edward) remarried to another Emma that being Blanksby but I cant find a death for an Emma Hobbs(Langsford)that seems appropriate. I have looked from the date on the last siblings birth certificate that shows her maiden name 1898. I have also looked for a marriage between Hobbs and Blanksby around a similar time but no success. Dates looked into are from 1898 through to 1905. The 1901 census shows a Hobbs family in Derbyshire but the names dont tie in. However on closer inspection the names given on the census I recognise as the childrens second christian names (the ones I have birth certificats for anyway) Could it be possible that 2nd christian names were taken for the census? Any clues would be most appreciated. Thanks Carol

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 18 Jun 2003 15:10

Can answer the part about second names on census. People gave the name they were known by. For instance in my family I have a mother a daughter with same christian name Gladys. The mother is known as Gladys but the daughter is known as Lily, her second name is Lillian. Hope this helps, sorry can't help with other. Shelli

Lynne

Lynne Report 18 Jun 2003 15:28

Don't suppose this helps but my grandfather was married to Alice and after she died he married another Alice. Second names on census appear to be common because I have an ancestor named Amy Lillian who was listed on the 1881 census as Lillian. Always check all possibilities of names as otherwise you miss them, like I did recently. Lynne

Karen

Karen Report 18 Jun 2003 15:35

I know it doesn't help much but I do sympathise. On 1901 I have Lily who was infact Louisa Matilda and to my knowledge was never known as Lily only Duch. Elsie for Ellen Margurite who was always known as Nelle (long story)and Dorothy for Doris (I'll let them off with this one). The only thing on the 1901 that seems to be correct is the mans name and the address.