Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Royal Artillary B.M.D. Records - ???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 21 Jun 2003 10:25

My husbands great grandfather served with the RA from 1860 - 1885. He was posted to Scotland in 1878. We know that he was married to a Lucy Ferguson, (various spellings!)in 1872. They had two sons and later a daughter Mary, born in Scotland around 1880. We know the second son was Lewis, b.1876(hubbies grandfather) Now my question is, we know that the Army kept their own B.M.D records but where are they, and how can we access them. We can find no record anywhere on censuses of the missing son, we know he existed as we have an ancient photo of him. Can anyone help please, or give me some idea of where to go next.

James

James Report 21 Jun 2003 15:50

Have you tried the Public Record Office at Kew. They also have various on-line services on www.pro.gov.uk. click on leaflets for more info. J Jones.

James

James Report 21 Jun 2003 15:51

Have you tried the Public Record Office at Kew. They also have various on-line services on www.pro.gov.uk. click on leaflets for more info. J Jones.

Martin

Martin Report 21 Jun 2003 16:08

The PRO won't do research but there is a list of professional researchers who can do some work for you. I think there is an index to army pensions online WO.98 rings a bell but there are several files. There are some "leaflets" that you can download from the PRO. Martin Briscoe

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 22 Jun 2003 20:42

Thanks James and Martin. Yes the PRO was very usefull, however their records dont cover the time frame. I think what we are looking for is somewhere in the GRO!

Pamela

Pamela Report 23 Jun 2003 22:49

The Soc of Genealogists will probably be able to tell you where to source these records. I remember them being mentioned in a lecture there once, but didnt take much notice at the time, it is a site linked to this one so you can check out how helpful they may be.