Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Printing from census decoder.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbara

Barbara Report 21 Jun 2003 21:44

Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me,I am viewing from the census decoder and paid to view an image and it will not allow me to print it.So I presume you can only view then print when you are not in this decoder thingy! Has anyone else had same problem? Thanks,Barbara.Glos.

Crista

Crista Report 21 Jun 2003 22:16

Have you tried saving the image as a .tiff file to your hard drive and printing it from there?

Vera

Vera Report 21 Jun 2003 22:20

Barbara Are you using the official PRO site which you have to pay for, or a 1901 DeCoder program which runs in conjunction with the PRO site, and which you do not have to pay for? If you have had to pay I assume you are not on a DeCoder program. Vera, Manchester LAN

Barbara

Barbara Report 21 Jun 2003 22:38

Hi,Thanks for replying, Crista, I do not have a clue how to do that,other half not here to help me! Vera, When I use the 1901 decoder,you are actually on the PRO website.I found what I was looking for and paid to view,but wouldn't allow me to print,because I was in the decoder,I presume! Barbara.glos.

Vera

Vera Report 21 Jun 2003 22:57

Barbara The 1901 census on census.pro.gov.uk is the official Public Records Office (now called National Statistics) site. There is a program called the 1901 DeCoder which is a separate one from the PRO. I has to be downloaded onto your PC and when you open it connects to the PRO 1901 census site. The DeCoder works from the info on the PRO one and you can use it to search as normal. The page looks similar except for the bars at the top. You do not pay but save to a file and sort the ID numbers consecutively into family groups. If you search and find a family that can then be saved to an Excel file (you do not need Excel on your pc) I use the DeCoder from the Lancslist site (use your search engine to find it) Sounds complicated but have a go and play about with it. There are instructions on the Lancslist site, too. Vera, Manchester LAN

Barbara

Barbara Report 21 Jun 2003 23:10

Hi Vera, Yes I have downloaded the decoder and have been using it for awhile.But the mistake I made was paying my £5.00 to view a particular household after I had checked id no;s,the toolbars at the top allow you to print but the page is empty,so,it looks as though you cannot pay to view and print,whilst in this. I think you can only pay to view then print when you come out of the decoder. I hope nobody else makes the same mistake that I have,but luckily have written the details down.

Crista

Crista Report 21 Jun 2003 23:20

How about if you right click on the page and select print from there. That's using the right mouse button.

Vera

Vera Report 21 Jun 2003 23:23

Hi I have not used it for a while but while checking on the address I found the statement printed on the home page of LancsList - see message 1901 DeCoder. I had heard a rumour that something had happened to the ID numbers as well as the Ref & Folio numbers. It looks like the PRO are fighting back and disallowing us to search for free. I feel a campaign coming on!! We should all write to our MPs objecting to this. Vera, Manchester LAN

Barbara

Barbara Report 21 Jun 2003 23:35

Hi Vera and Crista, Thanks for helping,I have been getting id no;s etc,there is no problem there,it,s when you clear results and go back to the PRO website,where it runs inconjunction with the decoder and then you actually pay to view image that you can't print it. Oh pathetic I am,why didn't I just press my print screen button,sorry everybody,i must be tired,I have been searching for this person (an Evans)all day!I am not thinking straight! Thanks again for your help. Barbara.