Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

confused help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chris

Chris Report 24 Jun 2003 11:30

my gt gt gt gt grandfathers name is the same has his surname and his brothers name is the same as well one of them was born in 1801 the other was born in 1811 so i am unable to figure out which one he is can anyone help the two names are grimshaw grimshaw they both survived as adults

Pamela

Pamela Report 24 Jun 2003 11:43

I tend to assume if there are two children christened with the same name that the earlier of the two can be presumed to be an infant death, what makes you think both the 1801 and 1811 children survived to adulthood?

Chris

Chris Report 24 Jun 2003 20:43

Hi pauline Iv added the names, on the census they both av the same parents

Chris

Chris Report 24 Jun 2003 20:46

Hi pamela I know one of them survived adulthood as he is on the marriage certificate, but i dont know which one he is

Crista

Crista Report 25 Jun 2003 00:41

What year is the marriage? If the marriage is before 1829 you could probably assume it's the older brother.

Crista

Crista Report 25 Jun 2003 02:10

Christine, found this on worldconnect(.)rootsweb(.)com. The birth dates match your years. The older Grimshaw is called James. William GRIMSHAW Marriage 1 Jane HINDLE b: abt 1769 Married: 2/9/1786 Children Jonathan GRIMSHAW b: in Oswaldtwistle, Lncshr, Eng. Thomas GRIMSHAW b: 1777 in Church, Lncshr, Eng Johan GRIMSHAW b: 1786 in Church, Lncshr, Eng Peter GRIMSHAW b: 1791 in Church, Lncshr, Eng James GRIMSHAW b: 1801 Grimshaw GRIMSHAW b: 1811

Chris

Chris Report 25 Jun 2003 11:41

Hi Pauline&Crista Iv got the info that you found but if you search for a grimshaw grimshaw born 1801 it comes up with the same parents as the one born 1811. I have the marriage certificate of Grimshaws son dated 1845 but the age of his son is not on it just says "full" that means 21 or over

Pamela

Pamela Report 25 Jun 2003 12:35

Christine, I can see how you are confused, the marriage in 1845 imples a birth around 1820 (it simplifies the maths if you assume a marriage at 20, and allow a birth date a couple of years either side), which makes it more likely that the parent is the 1801 candidate than the 1811 one who would only be around 10 at the time. If both the 1801 and 1811 people with the same name survived, I would begin to check if they were cousins rather than siblings, since there are often set naming paterns in families, eg first child called after paternal grandparent, second after maternal grandparent, mothers and grandmothers maiden names used as chiristian names, which can help to establish links in the confusion. Hope this helps

Chris

Chris Report 25 Jun 2003 13:02

Pamela thanks for the reply, i too think that the father is the 1801 one as you say the other one would be to young think i'll search for his sons birth certificate although im guessing his age if i can find one that fits it might give me more info Christine

Pamela

Pamela Report 25 Jun 2003 18:45

Christine, If the son was married in 1845, he would have been born around 1825 and registration didnt begin until 1837 so you are into IGI and parish registers for this one. Just a tip, I use a calculator all the time since my maths is lousy to check up on the ages people would be at certain dates. It is really helpful in working out if combinations are possible or probable, and for a rough rule of thumb just take 20 years of the date of an event, if its a birth it gives a rough latest date of birth for the parent, if its a marriage it gives a rough possible date of birth for the bride and groom. It is always possible people could be older than 20, but only younger by a small margin for both birth and marriage.

Chris

Chris Report 25 Jun 2003 21:15

Hi Pamela I work out there ages ect the way you do and up to now its worked out ok so parish records here i come, this could be fun!!!!! Thanks Christine