Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Waifs and Strays

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 25 Jun 2003 13:58

Does anyone know of Waifs and Strays Homes early 1900s? My father was placed in one in Margate in 1906/7 but I can't find anything about them. Anyone in Kent know anything?

Crista

Crista Report 25 Jun 2003 20:28

Elisabeth, There's a Thomas Turner Convalescent Home (Church of England Waifs & Strays Society) (Miss G M Johnson, matron) St Davids, Stone Road Broadstairs and that is right next to Margate. Found it using Google. Maybe they could advise you.

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 25 Jun 2003 20:33

Crista, Thanks for that. I will have a look and see what turns up. How often do we wish we had asked more questions when the older generation were alive? I just know father was there for a number of years but it wasn't part of his childhood he ever talked about much. Perhaps too many painful memories! Elisabeth

Crista

Crista Report 25 Jun 2003 20:35

Elisabeth, The CofE Waifs and Strays Society is now called The Children's Society. You can contact them at: The Children's Society The Post Adoption and Care Counselling and Research Project 91 Queen’s Road Peckham London SE15 2EZ Tel: +44 (0)20 7732 9089 Fax: +44 (0)20 7277 5760 Email: Julia.feast"at"thechildrens-society.org.uk Website: http://www.the-childrens-society.org.uk They might have your father's records. Google seems to have a few horror stories. A lot of the kids were sent abroad. Crista

Beryl

Beryl Report 25 Jun 2003 21:16

Elizabeth, You can contact the head office of The Children's Society at Edward Rudolph House, Margery Street, London WCIX OJL It was formerly the Waifs & Strays and then was known as The Church of England Children's Society. It is still Christian based and supported by many churches. I have never heard that any children in its care were ever sent abroad but I do know of other organisations who adopted that policy. It does have a website. Beryl, Darlington DUR

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 25 Jun 2003 21:17

Crista, Thanks for that info. I looked through Google as saw the history. I'll try contacting the Childrens Society and see what they can tell me. Thank you for taking the time to reply. Good to know people do help. Elisabeth

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 25 Jun 2003 21:19

Beryl, Thanks to you too. One suggestion I had in the past was that it could have been "Working Schools for Fatherless Children" - it was only his father he had lost. Mother was still around but I think without an income so some of the l3 were sent to the home. Elisabeth

Beryl

Beryl Report 25 Jun 2003 21:35

Elizabeth, First of all I'm wrong about sending children overseas - they did send children to Canada where they had a receiving home and the founder Edward Rudolf made several visits to Canada to see how the children were getting on. He founded the Waifs & Strays in 1881.Most of the children taken in were orphans I believe. They were then boarded out when ever possible. I'm sure they will give you all the help they can if you contact them. Beryl Darlington.

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 26 Jun 2003 11:23

I've just talked to the Childrens' Society and am sending them all the details I have. The email address didn't work as Ms Feast isn't there anymore. I will let you know how things progress. Thanks for all the help! Elisabeth

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 26 Jun 2003 11:59

Hello all, Just an update on the email address for the Childrens Society: Ruth.Timlett'at'thechildrenssociety.org.uk

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 2 Jul 2003 11:13

Beryl & Christa, I have had a letter from Children's Socity this morning to say the DO have a record card for my father. They are going to search the archives for his records. I am so thrilled. Elisabeth

Crista

Crista Report 2 Jul 2003 11:31

That's great news Elisabeth. Crista

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 28 Aug 2003 09:08

I have received a long letter from the Childrens Society this morning! They have given me lots of information from the file they have found in their archives. It starts from an application form from 23 January 1908 when my father was placed in the St Hugh's Home in Lincoln, through him being sent to Margate for the sea air with lots of addresses where he was supported by the Waifs and Strays organisation. Finally to him being placed in employment with a market gardener in Cliftonville. The last entry they have is November 1913, when he would have been 17, which states he was still with the original employer. He joined the army in August 1914. Thank you to everyone who helped in my search - it has filled in lots of gaps. My father never talked of this time - too painful I suppose. Elisabeth