Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

and then I'll....... umm.......

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rosi

Rosi Report 29 Jun 2003 13:40

Not sure where to go from here. Eventually I found her birth - Sarah Ann Fox, born in Bristol 1873, and then I found her on the 1891 Census, living in Bristol where her son Fredk. was born. (He was not on the scene at the time of the Census as far as I can make out - but she was at botton of page and copy indistinct.) I have found her marriage in 1894 in Islington to George Mossen Kearns, and the birth of another son, John. I cannot find Fredk's birth using her maiden name (on the 1901 he is down as Kearns) or her (7 years after he was born) married name. I think Fredk. is stuck here - I am anyway! Can anyone tell me how to get further back with him/her/them? Thanks, Rosi. Colchester ESS

Janet

Janet Report 29 Jun 2003 13:57

hi there take it you have tried the 1881 family search census for 1881 is really helpful, also there is 1837 online where you can find lots of births, dates and marriages too, but unlike 1881 census costs money, but worth it! Janet

Rosi

Rosi Report 29 Jun 2003 15:27

Thanks Janet - yes- have tried familysearch- neither Sarah nor George given a mention - and Fredk still unborn. 1837 on line confirms their births (not Fredk I don't know his birth name) but gives me no further info. Thanks anyway will take the dog out instead now! Rosi

Jane

Jane Report 29 Jun 2003 18:25

Hi Rosi My only suggestion is the good old parish records! You should be able to find these at the nearest library to where he was born, most libraries will have then on microfilm and it's just a question of wading through them. It might be worth trying your largest library locally they may possibly have them. I have been able to find parish records in Manchester for Preston (around 30 miles away). Good luck - let me know how you get on. Jane - Leeds