Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1901 census de-coder

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Annette

Annette Report 30 Jun 2003 20:04

have down loaded this. how do I access the person I want to without paying?? Thanks Annette

Maxine

Maxine Report 30 Jun 2003 20:25

Hi Annette The thing with the decoder is that it gives the most benefit from searching for families or groups of families. If you double click on the 1901 icon on your desktop you will enter the 1901 census, but with different browser buttons at the top of the page. If you go to person search in the normal way and seach for the individual you want, when you press search and get the results page up, press the "process search" button, and go to the next page and press "process search" again, repeat this until you have covered all the results in the search. If you then press "show results" you will see the results in a spreadsheet type format that you can then sort by clicking the tops of the columns. This is why it is better to use this for a more general search, use as much information as necessary to get a result, but as little as possible to get the best spread of data.e.g. search on Worthington female, rather than Maxine Worthington. You can then do a further search for Worthington Male for example and keep pressing "Process search" and it will continue to add to your file. When you have finished it you can sort by page Id & you will group the families together as they will all have the same page ID if they live in the same house (person Ids will be in sequence too) You can also save the file as an excel file, which gives you the option to manipulate it further and use colours for e.g. to identify families. The idea is to reduce the number of paid viewings you need to do to identify families, you will still need to look at a record if you want to know the address, and it only works on person search. Its main benefit IMHO is that it enables you to correlate and manipulate large amounts of related data, the money saving is really a bonus. Sorry for the essay! Regards Maxine

Pearl

Pearl Report 30 Jun 2003 21:01

Dear Maxine and Annette, I printed out the information relating to the 1901 census de-coder but I have no idea how to down-load it. Would you very kindly take me through it step by step? You have gathered by now I am a complete novice to the art of computer technology! Many thanks Pearl Harries

Sidami

Sidami Report 30 Jun 2003 22:34

Hello Maxine, Where would we be without people like yourself that give up their valuable time to help us to understand these things, you also have helped me with this problem Thankyou.....From Sue.