Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A Scottish Challenge (if anyone wants to take this

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 30 Jun 2003 20:12

Can anyone help me please. Stuck on my grandmother (sounds rediculous, I know!)She was born Kathleen McHugh 26/4/1899, no birth certificate, marriage certificate states no mother or father, not on 1901 census, (I know she was alive because I used to talk to her!lol) She was illegetimate, so sigma was upheld, lived in a convent in Rose Hill, Glasgow,(but can't even find that! even tried nunneries and diocese) for a little while she lived with a Kitty O'Brien at 13 Rose Street Glasgow, in 1927 she married Charles Buddell in London, if any one can help me on this one I will be indebted to them forever! Thanks Kim Sandhurst

Debbie

Debbie Report 30 Jun 2003 23:25

Kim Are you sure your Granmother was born in Glasgow. There is a Kathleen Mchugh born in Birmingham age 3 living in Smethwick Staffordshire in the 1901 census. Hope this helps probably not but who knows. Debbie

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 1 Jul 2003 09:48

Debbie, Thanks for looking for me, but she was definately born in Glasgow. Rumour has it, she was born in a poor house, and that is also why she refused to talk about her childhood, but still can't find any record of her, so I don't even know if that is true. Kim

Suzy

Suzy Report 1 Jul 2003 11:21

Kim I have looked on the Scotlandspeople site and there is definately no record of a Kathleen McHugh being born or married in Scotland, or in the 1891 and 1901 census. I think the records are complete, so it may be she was registered under a different name when born, or not registered at all!! Sorry.

Lynne

Lynne Report 1 Jul 2003 14:30

Have you searched for machugh as well as mchugh?

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 1 Jul 2003 16:02

Suzanne, Thanks for looking at all the census for me, I really appreciate that. I think maybe your right, she probably wasn't registered, but the convent must have had something on her. Lynne, I have tried every way imaginable to spell that name, even changing the spelling on her 1st name. I can't believe I have come to a total brick wall already, but maybe oneday one of the family might come across a piece of paper that says something, I live in hope Kim Sandhurst

MizzyH

MizzyH Report 1 Jul 2003 16:19

There should be a site for Poorhouses/Workhouses in Scotland (there is for England) and if you found the names of Glasgow ones, the relevant local library may have an address where you can get info. Type "Workhouses, Scotland" into Google and see what comes up. PS I've just tried it and the fourth site down is the one you want. There's a list on the left hand side, click on Scotland, then scroll down through Edinburgh until you get to Glasgow. It may not reveal anything, but may be worth a try. Good luck.

Suzy

Suzy Report 1 Jul 2003 16:20

Kim Thought about this again. Kathleen is really an Irish name. I've looked on the scotlandspeople site again, and there are quite a few Catherine McHugh's born around the time of your Nan's birth. Is there any chance that was her name?

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Jul 2003 08:41

We have the same problem Kim, but did you know that most of the records for the homes thse children wer born in were destroyed??? She

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 2 Jul 2003 09:50

She I didn't know that. Do you know when and why they were destroyed? Kim

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Jul 2003 14:20

I believe the records were 'destroyed' in the 1930's - 40's in the 20's these used to advertise the babies in the papers! if you want to e-mail me directly feel free to do so.

Rachel

Rachel Report 7 Jul 2003 21:19

have you tried searching just by christian name or surname with date of birth/place of birth. i found my great grandfather on scotlandspeople in this way. for some reason he had been registered as edwin murray williams in stead of edwin murray. he too was illegitimate. now i have another problem, where did the williams come from - i have no idea!