Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Only just started and stuck already

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 1 Jul 2003 12:56

I've only been at this a fortnight or so and have already come unstuck! I need to get the date of birth for my grandfather and grandmother. I only I have my mother's birth certificate and marriage certificate and unfortunately no living family (that I know of) to ask. Can anyone please please help?

Lisa

Lisa Report 1 Jul 2003 13:07

Try going on the freeBMD website. If you type in the names of your grand parents, it will bring up a list of everyone born between 1837 and 1906 with that name. If that brings up too many results and you cant distinguish between them, then try the 1901 census website (If your grandparents were born on or before then). A great source of information at a small price. A great deal of estimation work is involved too. If you have your mothers birth certificate then you could estimate that they were around their 20's, could be late 20's and then estimate thier year of birth from there. hope all that is of some help to you.

Helen

Helen Report 1 Jul 2003 13:15

Christine Check your emails, I've got a bit of spare time if you want some help, send me a few details if you like

Christine

Christine Report 2 Jul 2003 09:36

Many thanks to you all but especially to Helen for being kind enough to do some searching for me.

Janet

Janet Report 2 Jul 2003 16:07

At the risk of being called a moaner, have you any idea how to trace your ancestors? You start with your parents (marriage cert. which will give you their fathers names and occupations and their birth certs.) You carry on going back in this way using the census records as well. Certs. can be obtained from the Family Records Centre if you can get to London or from the parish where the occasion took place. You can also go to your nearest Latter Day Saints centre. They can get parish records and census records for you at a very reasonably price. I think the fun in this research lark is doing it yourself. It can cost quite a bit with each cert. costing £7 but at least you know that you have the right person and your'e not chasing that wild goose. These tips boards are for those who have tried all the avenues available but still keep hitting that b....y brick wall. It really can be so rewarding!!! Good luck.

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 2 Jul 2003 16:37

Christine my library recommened 'beginning your family history' by George Pelling. It's in it's seventh edition so it must be popular.It's very easy to follow. I refer to it a lot, I also only recently started, but trust me once the bug's bitten you're done for. Good luck Shelli