Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Should I tell her or not

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Debbie

Debbie Report 2 Jul 2003 18:43

I was just checking new names, and one of the surnames I am searching had 3 people born after 1968 with the actual address next to it, They are probably still alive and might be living there. Does anyone think that I should email her and say it`s a bit dangerous, cause you dont know what sort of people are looking they might still be living there. But I dont want to upset her. Any advice please. Debbie

Allie

Allie Report 2 Jul 2003 18:58

Debbie, I probably would, but you will have to do it very diplomatically. Sorry though, that's one thing I am not very good at. Some people may not realise the risks of giving out too much information. Hope it all turns out well whatever you decide. Allie, SAL

Maxine

Maxine Report 2 Jul 2003 19:01

Hi Debra I think it would be very good of you to let her know. Alot of people are still unaware of the security aspect of the internet, and sure the lady would be very glad you pointed it out.(I would be!) If she is offended or ignores your advice, that is up to her, but you will have acted with the best intentions - you can only offer help, you can't make people listen. If you don't offer the advice you will never know!!! (that's my opinion for what it's worth- others may feel differently however!) Regards Maxine

Clarissa Jane

Clarissa Jane Report 2 Jul 2003 19:08

I would, just to have peace of mind. You'll feel better about it yourself then. Its up to the person involved to decide. You can say at least you tried, can't do anymore then that!

Debbie

Debbie Report 2 Jul 2003 19:09

Thankyou both very much for your replies. I think I am going to send her a little message. Debbie

Annie

Annie Report 2 Jul 2003 20:54

Hiya I was reading this and it's something I noticed as well. I've found a number of them and I thought 'ooh, maybe a bit too much detail - risky'. I wonder whether the site owners ought perhaps to put a warning on the site somewhere. A

Crista

Crista Report 2 Jul 2003 21:10

Ann, There's this warning when you add a relative. "Please Note: You must have the permission of any living person to include their details here. If you are asked to do so, you must remove those details. You are the controller of the information you input relating to living persons." Crista

Debbie

Debbie Report 3 Jul 2003 10:49

Just to let everyone know, it wasnt a her it was a him. sent him an email yesterday I wasnt rude I just explained that someone could use the details wrongly. and even said I hoped I hadnt offended him. I then made a joke about that we might even be related somehow, so it wasnt a nasty email. well anyway he didnt answer back but this morning he has deleted me from his contacts. even a nasty email back would have been better than nothing. Anyway it wont deter me again from helping someone. I was only being friendly. Debbie

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Jul 2003 16:10

Well done for having the courage of your convictions, I for one wouldn't like my details - especially address on the internet. There is no accounting for bad manners - he probably didn't reply because he was embarrassed to have his error pointed out to him, didn't want to be one of his contacts anyway did you? Ann

Maxine

Maxine Report 3 Jul 2003 19:18

Take not notice Debbie - some people are just born miserable! At least you can sleep nights knowing that it's not your fault his home is now the junk mail capital of the world (and probably worse!)

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 3 Jul 2003 19:37

To Be honest Debbie, who else has put the exact address on their tree, I know I haven't, all us lot put, is the town and area! Would this guy want his address known to all and sundary!! I don't think so!!!!!! it was obviously a stupid mistake on his part and hope he has learnt something, well done for bringing that to his attention. By the way, I contacted my lot to ask if it was ok! Kim Sandhurst