Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

www.TheGenealogist.co.uk

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chelly

Chelly Report 3 Jul 2003 18:28

Hi - I am very new to this compulsive 'hobby', think GC is brilliant, I have just found the above site,has anyone used it successfully?? My area for Freecen will take about 35 days, can't wait. Regards

Pat

Pat Report 4 Jul 2003 16:57

Thank you Shirley, Sure this site will be very useful - funny how some messages get lots of chat others not even thank you. Regards Pat.

Julie

Julie Report 5 Jul 2003 16:49

There seems to be limited areas available and not all complete and there doesn't seem to be a way of doing a name search before you have paid. I took my chances and went for the 90 day 1861 london census, although not complete, and hit lucky. I now have some more names which I didn't have before. It gives you names, ages and the census area. They then give you the piece number and folio number so to get any more info you would have to look it up. I am visiting the FRC in London later this month so I guess this will save me a bit of time. Basically you pays your money and takes you chances if the area is not complete.

BillinOz

BillinOz Report 6 Jul 2003 06:18

SHIRLEY.Yes I had a look at it just now,but it doesnt seem to cover Scotland, so I will wait til it does. Thanks. Bill xxx

Martin

Martin Report 6 Jul 2003 09:47

I had not come across this before. It seems rather expensive for just an index. It looks as if the index is produced by S&N, they do many (all?) of those censuses on CD-ROM and collected indexes done by purchasers - this probably explains the large number for the number of people indexing. They sell some of the indexes on CD-ROM for £5 to purchasers of the census and £15 otherwise. These seem very similar to the subscription rates. MB