Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Research from Australia

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Leah

Leah Report 6 Jul 2003 06:20

I live in Australia and will be in England for a limited number of weeks in August. I will be staying in the Manchester area and wondered where I can get more information about my parents marriage, birth certificates etc from in that area. I have also discovered that Rochdale, Castleton and Heywood are also areas that I have links to. Any information would be appreciated as time and travel would be limited. Even getting reference numbers etc to apply for certificates would be of enormous assistance to me. I thank the Genes Connected site that I have the opportunity to ask these questions as I am a first generation Australian and my family will benefit from this knowledge. Thanks.

Lynne

Lynne Report 6 Jul 2003 10:54

Leah If you search FreeBMD (Link from this site) you should be able to get your GRO references to apply for certificates. The Manchester Central Library holds parish records so if you look at their website it will tell you which areas of Manchester are covered. Hope this helps. Lynne Sale CHS

Jane

Jane Report 6 Jul 2003 16:04

Leah If you can find the information on FreeBMD this will give you the Register office concerned. Personally when you have the information I'd be tempted to contact each of the Register offices and explain your situation. In my experience the Register offices in Lancashire are only too happy to help. If you find that any of yours are in the Bury Register office (which they may well be), if you are interested I can let you have the telephone number and a name of a contact who has been a great deal of help to me. Good luck Jane - Leeds