Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

"Local Registrars Office"

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Jul 2003 08:55

Please forgive the ignorance of a novice, but I see many references to Local Registrars Offices on the tips board. Does this mean local to the researchers home, or to the event (birth, marriage or death)? I ask because I seem to have exhausted what I can find on-line and need to start getting down to the nitty-gritty.

Vera

Vera Report 9 Jul 2003 09:04

Richard You have to send for the certificates to the Register Office where the event was registered. In the index there is the name of a town and numbers, e.g. Stoke T 6a 768. If you are looking in the FreeBMD site just click on the name of the place and it will give details of what area they cover and the address of the Register Office. If in doubt I can supply the address (hopefully) from my little books. Good luck Vera, Manchester LAN

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Jul 2003 09:41

Hello Vera Thanks very much. I see I am going to be even busier (once I have finished my present essay for the OU) Richard Chippenham

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Jul 2003 10:23

Hello Vera It's me again. My great grandfather's marriage does not come up on FreeBMD but I think I have found it on Family Research Link. William Bird married in the Jul-Sep quarter of 1853, Sup Reg District of St. Pancras, Vol 1b, page 122. Is that sufficient to get a certificate and if so do your 'little books' have an address? Richard

June

June Report 9 Jul 2003 10:44

Hi Richard, These addresses can be found on- http://www(.)genuki(.)org(.)uk/big/eng/civreg/places/1(.)htm Remove the brackets around the dots June, Preston.Lan.

Grace

Grace Report 9 Jul 2003 10:56

Where can we find info on line?

Vera

Vera Report 9 Jul 2003 11:00

Richard Looked on the genuki pages as June Palmer had said(thanks, June, although I had to delete the last bit 1.htm and click where it says Registration Districts on that page) and the registers for StPancras are now in Camden, according to them. The address is: Location Camden Address Town Hall Judd Street London WC1H 9JE Tel +44 (0)20 7974 1900 Fax +44 (0)20 7974 5792 Minicom +44 (0)20 7974 6064 24hr recorded message +44 (0)20 7974 6002 Cheques payable to 'London Borough of Camden' please. as copied from the web page. Hope this helps Vera, Manchester LAN

Lynne

Lynne Report 9 Jul 2003 14:14

Jean Try the links on the left of this page. Tracey No it's not the same site, it's on the links (as above). Lynne Sale

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Jul 2003 16:57

Vera and June Thank you both for all your help. Jean The Family Research Link I referred to IS the same as 1837 online. Richard

Lynne

Lynne Report 9 Jul 2003 18:33

Sorry for the false info - I read search instead of Research!! OOOOPPS!!! Lynne

Sandra

Sandra Report 9 Jul 2003 23:04

Twice recently, armed with the same sort of information that Richard has, I have telephoned a register office local to where a marriage took place, to order a certificate and was told that that type of reference was of no use there, so I would still have to go and search in person or pay them to do the search for me. I gave in and ordered copies from the General Register Office in Southport. Was I just unlucky Regards Sandra

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 9 Jul 2003 23:12

Hello Sandra, If you order your certificates from the local register offices, the GRO volume and page numbers are no good to them. I have received certificates from register offices when I have had very little information. I received a marriage certificate today and the only information I had was the names, the district and the quarter of the year that the marriage took place (which I found on 1837online). I sent my cheque and sae envelope on Monday and received my certificate this morning. Don't give up on local offices, the ones that I have dealt with have been brilliant! Maggy, Featherstone, West Yorkshire

Lynne

Lynne Report 9 Jul 2003 23:23

When I apply to Manchester I always give the reference, eg 8d 345, and quarter and I have never been told they are no use. How else can they trace the cert? Lynne Sale

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 9 Jul 2003 23:39

Hi Lynne, When I have applied for them I have been told that the GRO reference numbers are only used by the GRO. I have never used the numbers, just given them the information that I have. One office actually phoned me to check because one of the parents names was different! Maggy

Jane

Jane Report 10 Jul 2003 08:39

Local Registrars have their own indexes, as the records are only for their areas. There is a good explanation at www_dixons_clara_co_uk/Certificates/indexbd_htm change _ for .