Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1901 look up please !

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 11 Jul 2003 08:08

Hi I`m trying to find out if my great Aunt had any more children after Gertrude Carter who was 2 months in 1991. Could some kind soul look it up for me and see whos in the household etc. Her mothers name was Elizabeth Carter and father Alfred J Carter. She would be from Pershore Worcester. Thanks !!

Crista

Crista Report 11 Jul 2003 08:27

Jennifer, After Gertrude there were: Albert CARTER 1893 Worcestershire Pershore Leonard CARTER 1897 Worcestershire Pershore Mabel CARTER 1898 Worcestershire Pershore I got this using the census decoder. You can download it at www.censusdecoder(.)com Crista

Margaret

Margaret Report 11 Jul 2003 09:07

Jennifer Frankly, I'm amazed that you ask someone to do a look up on the 1901 census. It's online, you can always download the decoder if you don't wan't to pay to view the image. As you are on this site, you obviously had access to the Internet what what is the problem? Margaret

Crista

Crista Report 11 Jul 2003 09:23

Margaret, There are plenty of people out there that don't know about the decoder. There are messages on this board all the time. You have to give Jennifer the benefit of the doubt. Crista

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 11 Jul 2003 09:39

OoHh Margaret that was a bit unkind, not all of us know as much as others!! Ann,Darlington

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 11 Jul 2003 09:58

Thanks Crista, and sorry Margaret, I had no idea about the decoder and had noticed several people leave messages asking someone to look up a name for them. As you know it all gets a bit expensive and I thought if someone had paid already for acess they wouldnt mind. I`ve just remembered though that you have to pay to view each entry so I`m really sorry I wont do that again! People on this site are really great and so helpful I`ve made loads of progress because of that.Thanks everyone ! Jennie

Crista

Crista Report 11 Jul 2003 10:14

You're welcome Jennifer. If you need any tips on downloading the census decoder look at the message titled "1901 Census" by Pearl Harries on this board. Crista

Ruth

Ruth Report 11 Jul 2003 11:54

Is that my distant cousin Jennie by any chance?!!!! I'd just like to add that I found out yesterday (relatively hidden away on the 1901 site) that vouchers to use the site are valid for 6 months from date of first use, as opposed to the 48 hr limit with a minimum charge of £5 if you pay by card. Still wiaiting to hear from them where I can buy the vouchers though!!! Also because of the minimum spend/time limit it's possible someone might have spare credits they can't use, so I don't see any harm in asking! I had spare credits on Scotlands People yesterday which I 'advertised' and managed to help 3 people. Isn't supporting eachother the main reason we look at this board?!!!!!!!!!

Susan

Susan Report 11 Jul 2003 12:01

Hi Jennifer, There is no need to say sorry. We are all here to help each other, that is the whole idea of the boards. I never knew about the census decoder either till someone on this site told me. I am one of the people Ruth kindly helped yesterday and it is that kind of help and advice that makes this site such a great place!! Good luck, Susan

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 11 Jul 2003 16:46

Yes Ruth its me !!.Am just about to download the census decoder thanks to all you helpful people !I would be stuck at my greatgrandad if it wasnt for the help I`ve had on this site and now I`m back to 1633 thanks to Ruth and others.I`ve found 3 cousins albeit distant but who cares ?!!I never imagined I would ever get to this point . Jennie (I tried to find out about vouchers but for some reason dont think I can get them in Shetland.)

Colette

Colette Report 11 Jul 2003 17:25

I didn't know about the decoder either Jennifer. Thanks for that Ruth. Margaret-if you haven't anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all! You are obviously above the rest of us.

Debbie

Debbie Report 11 Jul 2003 17:38

Ruth I bought my 1901 vouchers from my local library, perhaps you could try your nearest library. Debbie

Debbie

Debbie Report 11 Jul 2003 18:12

I asked for help a while back because I was stuck. I had a couple of very rude replys, and yes youve guessed it, it was Margaret Harrison i`ve just had to go back a few pages to makes sure. Some people are just so damned rude. Just take no notice of their stupid comments. Debbie Just checked to see how may she has on her tree 1147 she`s obviously and expert on the subject

Ruth

Ruth Report 11 Jul 2003 19:14

Thanks Debra I finally got my reply from 1901, which did indeed tell me to go to my local library for vouchers. I've put the generic info on how to get vouchers up as a separate post in case people don't think of looking under this heading.

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 11 Jul 2003 22:47

Debra Just because some one has thousands on their tree doesn't give them the right to be so unkind does it? I have mailed both Jennie and Colette with an excercise that Vera sent to me when I was getting stuck and didn't really understand what it was supposed to show. There some very clever people on this site and very helpful ones too Ann,Darlington

Ruth

Ruth Report 11 Jul 2003 23:34

Ann, this exercise sounds intriguing! Would you send it to me too? Many thanks, Ruth

Sally-Anne

Sally-Anne Report 11 Jul 2003 23:41

Ruth I have emailed you directly re 1851. Have fun! Sally

Ruth

Ruth Report 12 Jul 2003 01:28

To be honest the best thing to do is go onto the site, read what's there and download the help file (which comes separately from the program). I only downloaded this afternoon but have had hours of fun gathering large quantities of info (which i was able to save as excel files) that I can pore over at a later date. Hope this helps - it's a bit complicated to explain and I'm just about ready for bed! :)

Margaret

Margaret Report 12 Jul 2003 01:53

Thanks for all slagging me off. I stand by what I said! Anyone who has the cheek to ask someone else to pay for info for them doesn't deserve help. As for the same questions being asked all the time, exactly!! Do people not read previous postings or even look at the links page on the left. I know I have been "at it" for a long time but I learnt by reading books and finding out anything I could from the library. I didn't expect people to do everything for me. Some of you are "too nice" probably thinking the same as me but afraid to say it. As for me having over 1100 names I also have 1800 on my husbands side. My genealogy program contains 6000 names all achieved through hard work and not expecting others to do the work. I thought this site was to find links with other members of our families not become a cheap way of getting others to do the research for us. I suppose I'm going to get another slating, don't care, GET REAL. Margaret

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Jul 2003 05:45

Margaret, I don't think the majority of the people on this site are lacking in courage to say what they really think, nor are they hypocrites as you seem to be suggesting. Most of them seem to be very willing to help those with less expeience than themselves, both with genealogy and the computer, and ready to accept help and admit that they need it when they are stuck. Having a common goal brings out the best in most people, and maybe that's the most important thing about this endeavour. There's a feeling of "family" about this group, and long may that continue. So have a little compassion for people that ask for help, and pray that you never have to ask for help yourself. By the way Jennifer even without the census decoder, don't forget you can match up families , by right clicking on the name, which brings up a list, left click on properties and then note down the ID# at the bottom of the info that appears. Other members of the family will have consecutive ID#s. Diana, Tsawwassen.