Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

info on bmd certs please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Terence

Terence Report 11 Jul 2003 13:15

Excuse my ignorance, but only being a learner at this game, can anyone tell me when bmd certificates were first issued. Terry

Lisa

Lisa Report 11 Jul 2003 13:21

I think from 1837 as this was when the registration of BMD's opened up. Any records prior to this is based on Parish Records. I don t now whether certificates were issued by the Parishes but even if they were I think it would be very difficult to get hold of copies from them. Hope this helps.

Andrea

Andrea Report 11 Jul 2003 13:22

I think there was a reply to a question on here recently that said you can get certificates from about 1837 as that is when it was made law that births, deaths and marriages had to be registered. If I am wrong, I am sure someone will correct me and put you straight!

Mary

Mary Report 11 Jul 2003 13:33

I'm not sure for certificates but by 1855 everyone had to be registered at a registry office, so you would be issued with a certificate. Before this it was entered onto Old Parish records (OPR).This information varied from Parish to Parish depending on who filled out the records, these date back to 1553. If your ancestors were not religious you will have to check among the non-conformist records. Quakers have the best information on record. M Doig

Vera

Vera Report 11 Jul 2003 13:54

Mary Please excuse the correction, but when you mentioned the Quakers do you mean The Mormons - the Church of the Latter Day Saints? Vera Manchester LAN

Vicky

Vicky Report 11 Jul 2003 17:03

I managed to get a copy of my husbands ggg grandfathers baptism. He was born 1832 before registration started, I went to the Local Archives in sheffield and trawled through the Parish Records for that year and bingo there he was cost me 30p for a photocopy. vicky