Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

divorce or annulment

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 11 Jul 2003 15:56

Can anyone assist me please the a web address for getting information about how to divorce, or have a marraige annulled, in UK. Jacs west oz

Andrea

Andrea Report 11 Jul 2003 16:20

I don't know of any website with this info but I used to work in a solicitor's office as Secretary for the Partner of the firm that dealt with matrimonial matters. I believe you can only have a marriage annulled if it hasn't been consummated. As for divorce, you have to be married at least a year before you can apply for divorce. I believe now there is also a new rule whereby you have attend counselling sessions before hand to see if the marriage can be salvaged if you talk through problems etc as there is such a high divorce rate. There are a few different grounds on which you can get divorced - 2 or more years of separation, 5 or more years of separation, adultery, and unreasonable behaviour. By separation, I mean no longer living together as man and wife. This option is usually used when the parties have split up but not immediately gone for a divorce, and then either can't find the husband / wife as they no longer have their address or if the husband / wife won't co-operate in the signing of the necessary papers etc. Hope this helps.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 11 Jul 2003 16:43

thank you Andrea, I have sent you an email. Jacs