Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where can I look after 1901 census? Am stuck!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrea

Andrea Report 15 Jul 2003 17:03

I am back at that big brick wall again!! I have got as far back as I can for the time being and am waiting for more info from someone who has a connection with my tree. In the mean time I am trying to fill in gaps from more recent times, but where do I get info from after the 1901 census? I have a husband and his wife living with the bride's family with their first two kids. Where can I find out what happened next?! Any clues? (I am sure this question has been asked and answered loads of times already, so apologies - just put it down to my bad memory!)

Lisa

Lisa Report 15 Jul 2003 17:12

You could try family search on the LDS website. They have 1881 census records on there from the UK. You could also try your local library who might have census records on fiche. Hope that helps.

Vera

Vera Report 15 Jul 2003 17:22

Andrea After 1901 census there are the Birth, Marriage & Death indexes on fiche at central libraries and the County Public Record Offices have records almost up to date. Have fun searching Vera Manchester LAN

Andrea

Andrea Report 15 Jul 2003 17:39

Thanks but unfortunately, none of this helps. Lisa - I am looking for info after 1901 so the 1881 census won't help me as the kids weren't born until 1889 at the earliest. Vera, I am from England but live in Austria so I can't get to the library or records office. I don't suppose it's possible to do it online...?

Susan

Susan Report 15 Jul 2003 18:02

You could try 1837 online, in the links page. It is a pay to view site but has the records for 1837 to present day.

Angela

Angela Report 16 Jul 2003 12:22

Hi Andrea, I also have the exact same problem after 1901 as I live in Holland so popping to the library or records office is just not a short term option. So here's some suggestions which have helped me:- 1. 1837online is good but you have to have a pretty good idea for dates of any births marriages and deaths to use this without spending a fortune. I would look at each person you have and try to work out a "window" where an event will have happened. If it's narrow you can use 1837online. 2. FreeBMD - only runs up until 1903 but they are starting to add more all the time and I have found some records for 1907 now. 3. Depending on what county you are searching on, you could try UK BMD. It has listings for certain counties. I've found records on there up to the 1950s for Cheshire (I haven't used any of the others). 4. Some of your ancestors may have been killed during war time. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission website lists all casualities INCLUDING civilians killed during emeny action. I found some of my relatives on here and it also gave details of their parents which was really handy. 5. Google - this sounds far fetched but I tried typing in the names and streets where my ancestors lived in the 1901 census and actually got some hits, Sometimes someone else has done the research for you and put it on the web! If you need the urls for these sites, let me know and I will mail them directly to you. Good Luck!!

Andrea

Andrea Report 17 Jul 2003 12:03

Angela, Thanks for your time and help. It's good to know I am not the only one stuck out on a limb with my rellies in another country! I will give your suggestions a try and see if I come up with anything. Thanks to everyone else too!

Shelagh

Shelagh Report 20 Jul 2003 09:44

Andrea, After 1901, as will as UK Birth Marriage and Deaths fiche, you need to access records at Local Libraries. There are street directories in both address and name order, So if you know who you the head of household is you can find their address. there are also telephone directories, parish registers for births marriages and deaths, and you will also probably find the local newspaper with announcements (although these only seem to have become more popular after the 1930's). As you live in Australia you may have to consider getting someone to do research for you. Shelagh

Andrea

Andrea Report 20 Jul 2003 13:30

Shelagh, Thanks for that but I doubt very much if any of my family would be willing to do the research for me, and I can't afford to pay someone to do it so... Maybe I will have to save it for one time when I am over and my Mum will let me go somewhere without her!! (this could be a loooooooong wait!). Just for reference - I am in Austria not Australia!

Martin

Martin Report 20 Jul 2003 15:01

If you have an approximate address then there are electoral rolls. Public Libraries sometimes have an index to older newspaper articles so they are always worthy checking. Graves can be very informative as there can be other family members in the same plot, dates of birth on the headstone etc. The library might have an index to municipal cemeteries as well as the usual M.I.'s Martin