Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How to find

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 16 Jul 2003 06:37

Can any one help me I'm trying to find my g grandfather i know the year he was born, I know the day and year he died,who he married and how many children he had and thats it. I have no older relatives I can ask. Sue

Christine

Christine Report 16 Jul 2003 06:52

if you know the year he was born try the latter day saints web site and search his name there or you'll have to go look at your library and look at the micheofiche and get his certificate chris australia

Susan

Susan Report 16 Jul 2003 07:33

Thanks Christine I'll try that, its driving me nuts at the moment. sue

Vera

Vera Report 16 Jul 2003 08:07

Susan If you give more details - names, dates, places, etc - I am sure that someone will be willing to help out, including me. Vera Manchester LAN

Tracy

Tracy Report 16 Jul 2003 10:20

Sue, If he was born pre 1891 then I will have a look on the 1891 Census for you. Just let me know some details and I'll see if I can find anything! Tracy

BrianW

BrianW Report 16 Jul 2003 11:08

If you post a query on Tips, then for goodness sake include whatever details you have in the initial query. Plenty of people are willing to spend a few minutes checking for you but "insufficient data, cannot compute" applies.

Susan

Susan Report 16 Jul 2003 18:46

Thanks to all for the kind offer of help all I can tell you is he was born 1883 and killed in action 14th july 1916 Somme France, his name John William Bromley,the only John william I've found was from Nottingham and my father used to tell me he was from Grimsby, but I came unstuck there too. Sue

Angela

Angela Report 16 Jul 2003 19:01

You have a clue in that you say he was killed in action. I looked on the CWGC site for you and there is one J W Bromley listed as a Serjeant in the York and Lancaster Regiment - it's a free site so you can check the details yourself - http://www.cwgc.org Also have you checked the 1901 census? I looked quickly and got 18 hits for John Bromley's between the age of 17 and 19 in 1901.

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 16 Jul 2003 22:31

The best checking point you've got is his wife's name, assuming that includes her maiden surname. Without a date or a place, you might have to look at quite a few quarters in the GRO index (budget for a tenner's worth on 1837online if you're unlucky) but at least when you find the marriage you'll know it's the right one. The marriage cert should give you his father's name and occupation, a location, and the names of witnesses, and that all puts you on much firmer ground when trying to pick the right John Bromley in a census. Unfortunately census takers often didn't record middle names.