Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The end of the line?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 16 Jul 2003 12:55

Is there any way I could find out where my ggggrandfather, Thomas Cockcroft (a surgeon) originated from? He was born in 1804 (1851 census says Trawden, Lancashire, but no parish records confirming that) and he died before his wife in 1871, in neighbouring Colne, where they are buried together. I can't find his parents in the church or cemetery records, and there is no record of anyone with the name Cockcroft in this area prior to him. Any suggestions at all how I can get further back down my line will be gratefully received.

Angela

Angela Report 16 Jul 2003 13:22

I would try and get a copy of his death certificate. You say he was born in 1804 died in 1871 which would have made him about 67/68 at the time of death. I checked for you and there is a Thomas Cockcroft aged 68 registered dead in Burnley June 1871. Lancashire geography is not my strong point but perhaps this is him? If you order this it should confirm his date and place of birth for you. Another thing to consider is that the late C18th / early C19th was right in the middle of the industrial revolution and a time of migration from villages to towns and cities, not just for the working class. You might want to search for Thomas' parents and ancestors further afield or even do some research on the surname to give you some clues. Good Luck!

Jane

Jane Report 16 Jul 2003 14:25

Hi Linda I had a look on the IGI and there is a Thomas Cockcroft born in Heptonstall West Yorkshire in 1804. I also looked up Trawden and Heptonstall on Google and found that "as the crow flies" Heptonstall is 20.3 miles from Leeds/Bradford airport and Trawden is 17 miles from LBA (both presumably in the same direction!) Could it be that he moved to Trawden from Heptonstall? Have you looked at the Parish records for Trawden, or just on the IGI? The IGI can be a bit "flaky" as I know to my cost. Let us know how you get on Jane - Leeds

Linda

Linda Report 16 Jul 2003 16:23

I must update and say I've found his father, James Cockcroft who married his mother Ann Driver on 15/04/1744, but couldn't find any more Cockcrofts earlier than that in Colne or Trawden.

Dave

Dave Report 16 Jul 2003 22:34

Linda, Thomas Cockcroft's parents on the IGI are shown as George and Ann if this is the Thomas born in Heptonstall. If it is James and Ann married in 1744 this would mean Ann was about 80 years old when Thomas was born in 1804??? Dave

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 17 Jul 2003 00:52

Do you know his mother's maiden surname was Driver? If not, there are Jameses marrying Anns at St Chad's Rochdale. But the IGI coverage of St Chad's baptisms seems to fade out in 1802, so if Thomas was born there, that would explain why he doesn't show up

Linda

Linda Report 17 Jul 2003 09:21

Thanks everyone for your help, and especially David who pointed out the age discrepancy! I got a bit carried away there thinking I'd found another generation! I think the George and Ann from Heptonstall is a definite connection and worth looking further into. Although Heptonstall and Trawden are only 3 miles apart, Trawden is in Lancashire and Heptonstall (I think) is in Yorkshire, which I suppose is why their records aren't be in the same library. There was only one Cockcroft family living around here at that time, so they're all connected somehow but thankyou all for giving me the direction in which to continue digging. So far all my research is from the parish records in the library - baptisms and burials mainly,apart from the census but I now can expand my search. Thanks again for your help, and if any of you come across anything else, I will be grateful to hear from you.