Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A man called Jane

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Laura

Laura Report 17 Jul 2003 17:32

On a marriage certificate it states one of the fathers as Jane. Would this really be the father or could it be the mother? Any ideas?

JillyWilly

JillyWilly Report 17 Jul 2003 20:09

Hi could it be James misspelt only a thought Jill Cardiff

JessyG

JessyG Report 17 Jul 2003 22:02

One of the famailies i've researched has a young child called jane and its down as being male. Jessica

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 17 Jul 2003 23:31

On one of the census's my grandads name is written down as jno and its John Henry couldnt find him for ages as the surname has been mispelt too, i have found it spelt four different ways.

JackyJ1593

JackyJ1593 Report 18 Jul 2003 00:11

JANE f English Pronounced: JAYN English form of Jehanne, an Old French feminine form of Johannes (see JOHN). This may help. Jacky

Laura

Laura Report 18 Jul 2003 09:10

It is 1878 and it definitely says Jane. It's a photocopy of the original entry and is quite clear. It does say fathers name on the certificate but I was wondering!

Gary

Gary Report 18 Jul 2003 13:47

Could it be Jean (french) Jan (also foreign) or Ian? Regards Gary

Laura

Laura Report 18 Jul 2003 14:08

Definitely Jane. It's one of the clearer certificates. Apparently as well it should be the fathers name and nobody else. Seems my rellie had a bit of a gender crisis