Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Need help with marriage certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Penny

Penny Report 17 Jul 2003 22:56

I was at local genealogy centre checking out their GRO indexes. I "think" I may have finally found my gr grandparents date of marriage! No one has any information but their names. I cross referenced and found a WILLIAM BROOKS AND THEN SARAH COLLETT married - December quarter 1863. East London - volume 1C page 6. Is there anyway anyone might be able to look up the actual certificate and take some information from it before I send for it?? I know that is asking a lot, but it seems it was thought she married beneath herself and was disowned by her family. William wud have been about 23/24 (per 1881 Census he was a Carman)so may have been doing like that at time of marriage, although he may have been in the Army. Sarah would have been about 15,16,or 17. Her mother was supposed to be Lady Collett, but can't prove that. If anyone is able to look at the certificate, I would like to know the ages of William and Sarah, his occupation, and fathers names and occupations. I hope this isn't too big a favour to ask of someone.

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Jul 2003 23:19

Hi Penny, I don't want to dash your hopes, but the only chance you have to see a Certificate is to buy it...unless there is an unknown relly on this site who already has it. Good luck, Jim

Penny

Penny Report 17 Jul 2003 23:54

Okay Jim, thanks for the information, I had no idea if it might be possible, but I guess it makes sense, however, figured it was worth asking before I sent off £7.

Jane

Jane Report 18 Jul 2003 06:18

Penny If you know which Church that they were married in you may find the record in the Parish records which should be in the library nearest to the church. It may be possible that the church itself still has the records so a call to vicar may help - good luck Jane - Leeds

Penny

Penny Report 18 Jul 2003 18:21

Thanks for the information, however, I live in British Columbia Canada so it is difficult to search parish records from this distance. I am slowly working my way through the GRO records held at our local genealogy centre and that is where I came up with the date and names for the marriage of Brooks/Collett, but before spending £7 and then finding out it is the wrong certificate - I was hoping there might be a way to get a bit more information.