Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FreeCen site info

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Vera

Vera Report 18 Jul 2003 08:38

Found this on another site - for our info - The FreeCEN On-Line searchable database (free to view) went live on July 4th. Please click on the link below to find out if you have access yet. (http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl) It depends in what part of the world you are resident as to when access will be available, and also to which Internet Service provider you are with. Example. For those in the UK and are on NTLWorld, then it is live now. For those who are on Freeserve, then you will have to wait about 30 days. For those who are on AOL, then you will have to wait a little longer. About 40 + days. When you click on the link it will either take you straight there or give you a message to say when you will be able to get on the site. This phased link is to ensure that not everyone goes on at once and crashes the system as happened with the PRO for the 1901 census. There are over 1 Million entries so far on the database, and more will be added from each County as and when they have been validated. There are no pieces from London as yet, but at least two pieces from the St Pancras area will be uploaded within the next couple of months. Vera Manchester LAN

Terence

Terence Report 18 Jul 2003 09:08

Hi Vera My connection date is coming down nicely. Just checked and have only 20 days to go. Terry - Gibraltar

Alison

Alison Report 18 Jul 2003 11:10

Ive had access since it went online but there are not many areas covered as of yet and ive been unlucky none of the areas I need are covered. I wish you luck.

Sidami

Sidami Report 18 Jul 2003 15:12

Hi Vera, I can't get FreeCEN yet but I would like to know what dates will it cover? From Sue.

Angela

Angela Report 18 Jul 2003 15:20

Hi Sue I can get into FreeCen already. It covers the censuses for 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871 and 1891. I have been doing some testing on it to see how much data there is and although I have found a couple of records I needed for 1891 there's still a lot more to come. It's very much like FreeBMD was in the beginning but I'm sure it'll get better and better.

Colette

Colette Report 18 Jul 2003 18:00

Hi Vera, Thanks for the info-i'm with NTL World, so should be able to access this. Colette

Vera

Vera Report 18 Jul 2003 19:50

Thanks everyone for the additonal info. We shall just have to be a little more patient! Vera Manchester LAN

Lynne

Lynne Report 19 Jul 2003 10:43

Hi Vera I tried it last night and although I had access, every search I did came up with 'sorry' so I will just have to wait a bit longer. Like everyone has said it will take some time, I wonder if they need transcribers? Maybe I'll volunteer. Lynne