Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Relatives who die abroad

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rachel

Rachel Report 19 Jul 2003 17:32

I think my dad's uncle died in Germany in the 1950s. Would this mean his death would not be registered here, because I can't find it! He was cremated in Manchester, so the body was brought back to England. If anybody knows it'd be a big help Rachel

Lindsay

Lindsay Report 19 Jul 2003 18:37

Hi Rachel, My great Uncle died in New Zealand and following the live web chat on this site the other night, i was advised to ckeck out the general registration records for that country. I would imagine this is what you need to do. I did a search on google and the place to contact came up straight away. Even though the buriel took place here, I would have thought the death still had to be registered in the place it took place in ie. Germany. Hope this helps, Lindsay, Bolton,Lancs

David_Vickers

David_Vickers Report 19 Jul 2003 19:31

Rachel It would be worth trying the Overseas Indexes at the Family Records Centre as the death of your dad's uncle may have been registered with a British Consul in Germany. If that fails, you will need to try the German authorities - the German Embassy in London should be able to point you in the right direction. David