Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can anyone help with 1861 or 1871 Census look-up f

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen

Helen Report 20 Jul 2003 18:46

I think I may have connected with a new 'cousin' but we need a little bit of help just to check things out. I know that George Ellis of Dawley had a son William, christened 29/09/1839 and showing as aged 11 on 1851 Dawley Census. I have traced George's other sons on 1881 Census but the entry I think may be 'my' William Ellis shows him as 45 years old when he should have been 41. My potential 'cousin' is looking at the same 1881 Census page and knows this William is his 3 x G Grandfather as he is shown with daughter Fanny and lodger Reuben Brooks who later married, and were his 2 x G Grandparents. What I need is a 1861 or 1871 Census look-up to check for any William Ellis's in Dawley, Shropshire. If he is the only one in the area of the right age, then I think I can be fairly certain that Ian and I can claim to be 'connected'. Is there anyone out there please who has this information available?

Helen

Helen Report 20 Jul 2003 20:40

Cheers William I think I may have to do that. I am having a bit of a panic at the moment, trying to find info as quickly as possible. I know this family tree business takes time, but I have a newly found 'cousin' visiting UK from New Zealand early in August and we are hoping to visit places in England where our family lived and possibly meet up with other 'cousins'. In my rush to discover as much as I can before she arrives, I've stumbled on a few new leads and names. And I don't have much time to do the research! Please accept my apologies for being impatient and wanting a 'quick fix'!!!